Oneida Dust Collector

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I looked at this unit today, but unsure of it's capacity as I don't know the specs of the unit. The motor is 1.5 HP and it's at least 12 -15 yr old. The owner used it in his furniture building shop and is no longer using it. It is too tall for my basement as it stands, so I'd either have to mount the motor to the side of the cyclone or use a shorter tub at the bottom of the cyclone. He is asking $2800 for the entire dust collection system, including the ductwork and blast gates. I'm thinking it isn't worth that much, but would like to hear what you guys/gals think about it. Is it a good unit to use for a planer, jointer, SCMS, table saw, bandsaw, drill press, router table, belt sander ? Wish I knew the CFM, but I don't. I wonder if anyone at Oneida could tell me what model and specs it is from the pics ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.JPG
    IMG_3407.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    860.4 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3410.JPG
    IMG_3410.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 261

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I'd have to agree, 12-15 years old, only 1.5HP, $2800 is way overpriced even with the ductwork. For that you could get a 3HP Laguna with a HEPA filter, and still have $300 left for duct work (heck, find it on one of the many 10% off sales and you'd have $550 left for duct work).

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
To answer your last question first, I would definitely call Oneida and get all the info I could about this unit. Based on the age and motor HP, they should be able to tell you a lot. Also ask about each of the tools you want to hook it to. The only one I might be a little concerned about is the planer, depending on how big it is. If it is a 12 or 13" "lunch box" type, then 1.5 HP is probably enough.

Regarding the height and your basement, it appears he is using a 50 gl. drum. Oneida also sells a 30 gl. drum which is shorter. That may make a difference. I'm not sure you can mount the motor/impeller anywhere but on top of the unit and still maintain efficiency. I could easily be wrong on this.

I have a very similar version of that unit by Oneida, but mine is 5 HP and has 2000 CFM. I have been very satisfied w/ it.

As for the price, I think $2,800 is definitely on the high side, especially given the age and low HP. I know that includes all the ducting, but unless there is a lot more than you show in the pics, it really isn't that much. For that price I think you could get a new unit and a lot of duct work.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Although you have slightly limited ceiling height, with a shorter collection barrel you can get a much better system for under $2,100 plus tax and still have about $600 for ductwork. My recommendation is a ClearVue Cyclone CV1800 with excellent filters, found here.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I saw a similar sized Grizzly unit advertised well under $1,000 recently, it was probably in the current Wood magazine. I plan to build something similar with a HF "2hp" DC on top of an Oneida super dust deputy cyclone and a 30 gallon plastic drum. I have the DC, I need to buy the cyclone and drum. They are about $210 from Amazon (together). I am thinking of exhausting outside but if I buy a cartridge filter I plan to use the one in the Grey House Studios build that is about $100 (Wynn is another option, I used to have one, but it costs about twice as much). Even with a filter I will only have about $500 in my system. Piping and blast gates will, of course, further increase my cost but probably not more than another couple hundred dollars (my shop is only 14x24). So I am suggesting you can fairly easily piece together a similar sized system with the piping for under $1000. It would be worth a little more to have the Oneida system but not nearly what he is asking. I think the half his price suggestion is pretty good.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
I saw a similar sized Grizzly unit advertised well under $1,000 recently, it was probably in the current Wood magazine. I plan to build something similar with a HF "2hp" DC on top of an Oneida super dust deputy cyclone and a 30 gallon plastic drum. I have the DC, I need to buy the cyclone and drum. They are about $210 from Amazon (together). I am thinking of exhausting outside but if I buy a cartridge filter I plan to use the one in the Grey House Studios build that is about $100 (Wynn is another option, I used to have one, but it costs about twice as much). Even with a filter I will only have about $500 in my system. Piping and blast gates will, of course, further increase my cost but probably not more than another couple hundred dollars (my shop is only 14x24). So I am suggesting you can fairly easily piece together a similar sized system with the piping for under $1000. It would be worth a little more to have the Oneida system but not nearly what he is asking. I think the half his price suggestion is pretty good.

I'm doing similar, except I also added an upgrade to a 12" Rikon fan. I've got a thread in the workshop forum.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks for posting your test results, Sean. I do not plan to use the Rikon fan unless I don't feel like the airflow is adequate with the HF system. In other words, I will approach it in the opposite order from what you are apparently doing. I will install the stock system and then go back and install the Rikon impeller if I need some more airflow. I am worried most about my CMS/RAS setup. I need to suck a lot of air out of a hood I haven't built yet to get most of the dust they generate.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
Thanks for posting your test results, Sean. I do not plan to use the Rikon fan unless I don't feel like the airflow is adequate with the HF system. In other words, I will approach it in the opposite order from what you are apparently doing. I will install the stock system and then go back and install the Rikon impeller if I need some more airflow. I am worried most about my CMS/RAS setup. I need to suck a lot of air out of a hood I haven't built yet to get most of the dust they generate.

No judgement from me; seems very reasonable. It's not really that different from what I've done. I've had the HF fan for years in a single stage setup at my previous shop and wanted a bit more flow. Particularly knowing the cyclone would just cut the flow even more lead me to the Rikon. If you want to upgrade later it's about as close to bolt-in as it gets.

As for the RAS, two approaches. Take a look at the Frank Howarth videos. He did a really nice fence based setup. Alternately, a shroud with as small of an area exposed as possible should work as well; it's what I tried to do with my miter saw.
Best of luck!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
For RAS & CMS dust collection, I cannot find the link or recall where I saw this at the moment, but they referenced a plastic trash can behind with a shroud funneling the chips and dust into that. From there you can connect your DC hose to pull dust out. This is something I need to try myself.

jdennis

New User
John
$2,800 is probably high but as others have said it depends on the model. I installed a new Onieda 3hp V system a recently, my shop is on the small side, 22 x 26 with 7 dust collection stations. At the conclusion I was surprised I had spent significantly more on the metal ductwork (I did buy from Onieda) than I did on the dust collector itself. All those pipes, elbows, reducers, adapters, blast gates and flex tubing add up quickly. All of this is to say don't discount the value of the ductwork when making a value determination. Do make sure the ductwork is spec'ed correctly, proper gauge, sized for CFM flow and can be disassembled and reassembled without issue. I would count up the individual pieces, use a current price list and determine what it would cost to buy the ductwork new (you might be surprised), then discount it for it's used condition and then decide if there is reasonable value.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
John makes a good point but also consider how much of the ductwork being offered is useful in your shop. A lot probably would be but some may not work for you.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I did get in touch with Oneida and they sent me the manual/specs for this unit. It has 957 CFM airflow, 220v 1.5HP motor. They said the filter should be replaced after 6 years, plus I'd need the shorter drum to fit within my basement height.

Main question to me is....does it have enough cfm to effectively pull dust from my SCMS and any sanders I would use ? I'm sure it would handle the machines creating larger chips as that is what the current owner used it for mostly. I read somewhere that it takes around 1500 cfm to effectively collect dust on a miter saw. Can anyone substantiate that ?

Next question would be the worth of it. I'd say in the $1000 - $1200 is all I'd pay for it and I don't know if he would accept that or not...couldn't get a read on him, but know he's got another month to sell it before moving and I don't think he's had much interest.

Specwise, it compares favorably to other 1.5 HP units, 2 Laguna units at $1200 & $1700 and a current model Oneida at $2400. I'm just not sure they are powerful enough as I'd dare say I use my miter saw more than any other machine.

The Grizzly GO441 is the lowest price unit, $1675, that has over 1500 CFM, but the height is an issue even with the smaller collection drum. Unless it's OK to let the motor extend up into the floor joists a few inches, this one may be out.

Next would be the Laguna C|Flux 3 @ 1624 CFM with it's 3 HP motor at $1799.

Don't really want to spend that much, but also don't want one that doesn't do a satisfactory job either.

Any thoughts ?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Brent,

How much is enough is a VERY big debate about wood shop dust collection. One one end of the spectrum is Bill Pentz who argues for something like 1500 CFM, he strongly favors the 5hp Clearvue to get wood shop dust levels below typical indoor or outdoor dust levels. That is not what he says in a straight forward manner but if you review his posts, I believe that is his message. He uses special filters inside his house, for instance, because he cannot tolerate what does not bother most of us. He ignores that outside air is much dustier, I guess he limits his exposure. This is speculation but I believe Bill thinks his high sensitivity to dust was created by working for years in a dusty shop. Maybe that is even true.

The other side of the spectrum I would point to the woodworking for engineers website. Matthias does a lot of stuff other than woodworking but did some useful measurements and I think gave it some good thought. He uses much smaller dust collectors and essentially tries to keep the workshop below outside air all the time and near inside air quality a lot of the time. To do that requires something on the order of a "2hp" dust collector - something barely able to be powered by a 20A 110V circuit. I do not agree with Matthias's thoughts on filters - he favors good bag filters, I think cartridges or outside discharge is better but otherwise I think his views are solid. My data is not pure but I used a 1 micron bag filter in my last shop, after using a stupid old 5 micron bag filter and I think I continued to accumulate dust.

You risk nothing other than money with the Bill Pentz approach. But I will be installing the "2hp" harbor freight DC on an Oneida super dust deputy which will at least initially discharge outside. I am not sure how much piping will cost me (but it will be significant) but the DC, cyclone, and barrel will cost me less than $400. A filter like Gray House Studios used in their build is about $100. So for around $500 you could have a system with a filter but you will have to assemble it yourself. Height is a function of barrel choice. I was leaning to a 30 gallon barrel but might still go 55 gallon. If I use a 55, I need to check height. I don't like emptying it but I have nothing to empty a 55 gallon barrel into and don't want to have to run to the garbage collection site 8 miles away every time the barrel gets full.

Anyway, first chore is to decide how much is enough. How clean do you need the air to be. If your goal is no worse than typical outside air quality, you do not need 1500CFM.

Jim

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am most definitely not an expert on dust collection, but I have owned an Oneida Mini Gorilla for over 15 years and I have been very pleased with its performance. I don't recall the cfm specs, but if memory serves I think it is in the neighborhood of 800 cfm. That said, I do not have any long runs in my shop, the most would be about 25 feet. I am confident the system you mentioned could easily handle the fine dust produced by your sanders...the most difficult "dust" is from planers and jointers....but, the mini-gorilla capably handles these heavier particles.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS