One tough bird ( update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Got this turkey to do for commission and after looking at it I thought that it would be a fairly easy cut boy was I wrong:swoon: I started in the middle and was working my way out

Turkey21.jpg

View image in gallery

Got this far with cutting the veins - found out quick that veins are not easy - came around the head part and things got scary - Had to put some tape on the front and back side to keep the head from chattering up and down -plus sloooowwwer the saw down - breakage fosure:no:

I made it through with the head:icon_thum and I finished cutting the body down to just below the tape - then I started cuttin the tail feather section :swoon:

I stopped and taped down a zero clearance (!/4 plywood) under the cutting to give it even more support and had to get my finger pretty close there - Believe me I was nervous:swoon:

More ppicture to come - I hope that this turkey will be hanging on the wall soon:eusa_danc

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Re: One tough bird

Roast it first. It will be easier to cut. hehe The last turkey clock that I cut only had 270 inside cuts if that helps. Steve

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch

Looking good so far Phillip. What kind of ply wood are you using? I've got a piece of Birch lite ply that I was thinking about doing a design on to try out my new scroll saw.

wdkits1

New User
Mike

Looks good Phillip--Just remember to take your time and stay on the line and that gobbler will soon be cooked.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Buck up man, it could be worse.
turkeys.jpg

:gar-La; Yea it did sound like I was whinning there a little didn't it - This is a cool pattern - who's design is it? To tell you the truth since I have see this one that you have I think I would rather be doing it - doesn't look like it has any "vein cuts" in it - I am using Birch ply on this one - Got the ply from a good brother - sawduster:icon_thum - let us see the final on this when you get it done

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch

That one is a little advanced for me. I'm going to start with this easy one. I'll do the wild one after I get some more practice.

The one I posted is called Wild Turkeys. It was in a wood craft magazine I picked up at Lowe's this morning. Creative Woodworks & Crafts Nov 2009. The magazine was $7.49

The pattern is by Mike Williams. He has some really good stuff on his site. http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=82

turkey2.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip

That one is a little advanced for me. I'm going to start with this easy one. I'll do the wild one after I get some more practice.

The one I posted is called Wild Turkeys. It was in a wood craft magazine I picked up at Lowe's this morning. Creative Woodworks & Crafts Nov 2009. The magazine was $7.49

The pattern is by Mike Williams. He has some really good stuff on his site. http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=82

turkey2.jpg
I picked that mag up today - got some good stuff in it - I mght try that other one with the two in it when I don't have anything else to do - I might do that one in Oak ply -

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Bro, I have seen your work. You will be fine. Just go slow and easy. Change the blade often and take a break whenever you do change the blade.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Mitch I have been to Mike site http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=82 awhile back and I have forgotten about him - Thanks for the reminder - I have been wanting to try some of his fantastic patterns - When the next magazine come out with his Turkey pattern in it I am going to give it a try - I know that my wife will want this one

http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=65

and this one
http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=115

my sister will want this one
http://www.mikesscrollsawpatterns.com/pattern.asp?id=81

I am WOLF
I%20am%20WOLF%20web.jpg
Hope Mike doesn't mind be doing a little advertizing with his pictures - I will give this a try - because I read something this morning in Phil 4:13 :icon_thum

Last edited:

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Bro, I have seen your work. You will be fine. Just go slow and easy. Change the blade often and take a break whenever you do change the blade.

Scott, thanks for the word of encouragement :icon_thum Believe me I am going sloooooowwwwww especially around the veining where it is only attached to the body wit 1/8-3/16 piece of ply:swoon: Thanks for the reminder - I need to order some more blades:icon_thum

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch

Done with mine. This was my first time doing a art piece as opposed to wing ribs. I went off track a few time and I broke out one time. I need a lot of practice! The new Dremel scroll saw worked really well.

Turkey003.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Nice job Mitch:icon_thum Are you going to put a clock in it like the pattern calls for - My wife doesn't like the patterns with clocks - I have got to do a snowman that has a clock in it and she said "no clock":gar-Bi

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch

LOL no, this one is horrible. I'll be hiding this on in the scrap wood box. I'm just practicing right now. It's a less stressful knowing that your working on a practice piece rather than a display piece.

Anyway this is good practice for when I have to cut the parts for the F9 Panther I'm going to build next year.

F9Panther.jpg

F9parts.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Mitch - Don't throw it away - keep it as a reminder to look back on so that you can see where you have improved in your sawing - I still have one of my first deer that I done - it was not pretty:nah: Looking forward to seeing the F9 when you get it done:icon_thum

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
Wow great job Phill. I really like that lay out.

Now if I can improve my sawing as good as you are, and you can improve your macro photography to as good as me well both be set! LOL

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
When you told me today it was finished, I could not wait to see it. Awesome as usual:notworthy::notworthy:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS