OMG - Captial City Lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For my scroll work I use a fair amount of 1/8" Baltic Birch Plywood. Ornaments, backers, pictures, etc. Normally I get it at The Hardwood Store for $20 per 5'x5' sheet. I am currently out. I happened to be in Raleigh not far from Capital City Lumber yesterday and I figured I would pick up a sheet just to hold me over. I figured it would cost me a couple bucks more as I know Capital City is not the cheapest but I was totally blown away when the counter guy quoted me a price of $47.00 a sheet. That is totally beyond highway robbery. Needless to say I returned home empty handed. I will be heading to Gibsonville in the coming week.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Similar sticker shock on hardwood faced ply - although they do give us a small discount.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
That's crazy. Most places are around the low $20 range for that.

Red

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Not only do you pay more, but the way they have their lumber stored makes it much more difficult to sort through. Occasionally, I have picked up a few boards simply as a matter of connivence, but it is pricy!

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I was looking around for some MDO/Signboard plywood. Capital was about 15% higher than big box. Although big box had $50 charge for orders under $250. I didn't think that wasn't too bad for the convenience of a single sheet. Will be looking for other options.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Scott, try Forest products Raleigh 919 719 0877 mention Jack custom carpentry sent you they normally dont sell to non contractors

hood lumber hwy 70w 919 772 7550 same thing

Klingspor also just not full sheets

Last edited:

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Speaking of Capital City, whats the buying process like. Will the cut the longer boards for you if you do not need as much? Never bought hardwood anywhere before. I'm a newb with anything other than dimensional lumber off the big box shelf.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Speaking of Capital City, whats the buying process like. Will the cut the longer boards for you if you do not need as much? Never bought hardwood anywhere before. I'm a newb with anything other than dimensional lumber off the big box shelf.

they won't cut. they will charge a lot more than anywhere else but they likely will have what you are looking for. I only go there as a last resort.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Hardwood Store is very reasonable in my opinion. I've traded with them for years and have never been disappointed with price or material quality.

Wow- I didn't know the hardwood store was that much less expensive! Good to know!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I LOVE Capitol City Lumber. They make my prices look good! :rotflm:

Scott, not only are your prices good, the quality of the product is outstanding and the conversations with the proprietor are priceless!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
they won't cut. they will charge a lot more than anywhere else but they likely will have what you are looking for. I only go there as a last resort.

Sorry Fred, not true about hardwood cutting.
As far as I know, Capitol City Lumber will cut hardwoods, as long as you leave 6 or 8 feet of length (depending on whether it is domestic or exotic; can't recall which one is which length).
Dimensional lumber and sheet goods are under a different policy - not cut as far as I know.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Sorry Fred, not true about hardwood cutting.
As far as I know, Capitol City Lumber will cut hardwoods, as long as you leave 6 or 8 feet of length (depending on whether it is domestic or exotic; can't recall which one is which length).
Dimensional lumber and sheet goods are under a different policy - not cut as far as I know.

last time there I needed 3 feet of Ipe. They only had 12' boards. would not cut. 55 bucks for a 12' piece of 1x6 to do a 80 dollar project. I found a use for the left overs but made nothing on the project. I was told at checkout they don't cut. I won't ever buy there again. that ain't business, it's thievery.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Fred makes an important point that I don't think should be overlooked. A couple of years ago I needed some 1/8" Italian Poplar plywood. I usually get it at Maurice Condon in New York as we're up there a few times a year visiting the kids. Anyway, I had less in stock than I thought I did and needed a few sheets quickly. I couldn't find any within a days drive - except for Capital Lumber. They had it - and I needed it. So I made the trip to Capital and picked some up. Yes, I paid through the nose for it, but they had it! Like Fred, I'll only buy there if there's no other option, but it's nice to know that they carry almost everything.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
last time there I needed 3 feet of Ipe. They only had 12' boards. would not cut. 55 bucks for a 12' piece of 1x6 to do a 80 dollar project. I found a use for the left overs but made nothing on the project. I was told at checkout they don't cut. I won't ever buy there again. that ain't business, it's thievery.

Agreed. IPe is considered decking, and/or dimensional lumber. Standard sizes, milled and prepped. And no they won't cut that.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Hey you cant beat a nice Sat morn run to the Hardwood store!!!!! Breakfast on the way and then buying more than you came for because the products all look so good.....:eusa_danc

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
There is another very good reason to do business with the Hardwood Store, they support us by providing items for our annual raffle, as well as providing door prizes for our picnics. Please remember to support all those who support NCWW and the work we do in encouraging and improving woodworking skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS