Olive wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I don't know if Bethlehem Olive wood is anything like Russian olive, but I've turned a few pens from russian olive. I just used BLO and the grain popped out beautifully.

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
have made some pens , works and finishes well, usualy only avalable in small sizes, many folks also like the signifiance of where it comes from and the history of the tree.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Can't afford it, have any scraps? :rolf:

Mike I know what you mean about affording it - with what this 2x2x6 inch piece cost I would hat to see what a bowl blank would cost- I might even try to catch the saw dust and use it some how :rolf:

many folks also like the signifiance of where it comes from and the history of the tree.

Yes, I got a certificate with the piece I got stating where it came from - but I plane on making three pieces out of it - so I can't give a certificate with all three pieces - unless I scan a copy but I don't know if I can do that

Ed great looking pens:icon_thum you say that you used the CA finish with BLO as a lubricant - did you apply the BLO first or mix with the CA:icon_scra

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Phillip,

I made bottle stoppers last year out of some. The smell it give off while turning makes me hungray. But then so does every thing else:rotflm:

Thanks Mark

ednl

ed
Senior User
Philip - to answer your question... "did you apply the BLO first or mix with the CA"

yes - both - to pop the grain in olive wood I first applied a light coat of BLO... thereafter, two coats of BLO and CA... a light sanding with 600 grit and then three more coats of BLO/CA... then wet sand up to 12000 or whatever "feels" good to the touch... on the curly maple pen I started with a BLO/CA mixture and what little grain there was popped out just fine...

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Phillip I really enjoy turning olive wood. It smells wonderful. It can be good looking wood or amazingly figured.

I have finished with ca, ca/blo, myland's, and nothing. For no finish I sanded through 400 then mm. The natural oils in the wood left it glossy enough for me and I could still smell the wood.
Every one has opinions about glossy and the "plastic feel" of ca. I use it and other times I don't.

I have one pen that I put a little evoo (extra virgin olive oil) on as a finish. Probably ought not to have. It was a dust magnet and got a patina (not one you'd want) from handling. I ran it back through light sanding and mm to clean the oil off it and since then I'm happy with it as it is. I kinda like some natural wood pens - cocobolo is another I like to smell and any finish would block the fragrance - but those are my pens and not ones for anyone else so I don't worry about how they'll hold up over time and wear. trade offs to more enjoy the wood I guess.

BTW you can find other olive wood a lot cheaper than BOW. I couldn't tell you the difference in them other then one doesn't get the certificate of authenticity from Bethlehem.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Philip -

if you haven't watched this video, it will show you how to apply a CA/BLO finish... I do it the same way... works wonderfully... good luck...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcg...D19798903&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Thanks Ed - That video is very helpful - That would do ok on bottle stoppers that do not have alot of design to them - with the fast back and forth motion = I have a few already turned out of ZW and I will see what I can do with them:thumbs_up

PChristy

New User
Phillip
BTW you can find other olive wood a lot cheaper than BOW. I couldn't tell you the difference in them other then one doesn't get the certificate of authenticity from Bethlehem.

Yea, I have already figured out that I want be buying alot of the BOW - I will see what $ I can get out of the stoppers that I turn out of this piece before I consider buying anymore :swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS