Older General (Central?) Machinery No:T123 lathe info

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightfingers

New User
Eight
Hi everybody,

I am new here. I've always been interested in wood turning. I've been searching for a lathe lately and came across a like new, never used General Machinery No: T123 3/4HP Wood Lathe and have been having trouble finding info in regards to this brand. I have found Central Machinery which is a harbor freight brand it seems but the seller said its General. He was doing some work for a client and in exchange she parted ways with this lathe that was stored in the basement and never used.

I was hoping somebody could provide some info and let me know if I should buy this or not. It does seem like a good deal.

Here is a picture:https://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_kh4vMSNfyol_600x450.jpg

Thank you!

awldune

Sam
User
This type of tube-bed lathe is pretty common to find on Craigslist. I am not a fan of that design, but this one does appear to be in decent shape. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for it.

Something to watch for if you go check it out is the key on the bottom of the bed. This is a rectangular piece of metal that is riveted to the bottom of the tube and holds the tailstock and banjo in the correct orientation. The rivets that hold the key can be broken through rough handling and this messes up the lathe.

eightfingers

New User
Eight
Thank you, I will certainly check for the key when I go look at this in a few hours. He is asking $100 so that seems like a fair price.

This type of tube-bed lathe is pretty common to find on Craigslist. I am not a fan of that design, but this one does appear to be in decent shape. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for it.

Something to watch for if you go check it out is the key on the bottom of the bed. This is a rectangular piece of metal that is riveted to the bottom of the tube and holds the tailstock and banjo in the correct orientation. The rivets that hold the key can be broken through rough handling and this messes up the lathe.

Mike Mills

New User
Mike
I had one that looked similar when I first started. Sam is correct about the key but it is probably fine now.
It is mainly a spindle lathe and can't handle heavy work. My second bowl was out of balance and the rivets did not shear, the entire key broke. I did do a fair amount of spindle work prior. Mine was a Jet but most everyone sold the same basic type. If like most it will not have a MT in the headstock or tailstock so that may limit your accessories. Hopefully the table/bench will go with it.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I read once of a guy filling the tube with sand to add mass and reduce vibration. Can't vouch for it personally. Congrats on your new to you lathe.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Mike Mills

New User
Mike
Looks like you go a good deal to get you going. Just beware of large out of balance blanks and speed.
I used mine for 20+ years before I started turning bowls. Looks almost identical to my Jet (and other brands).
There may be a set screw at the backside of the headstock which locks the tube and keeps it from turning/rotating.
If you aren't familiar with rust converter (any hardware or auto supply store) it converts it from iron oxide to iron phosphate. Usually takes a few hours and the ex-rust will be black. A rubdown with 0000 will get rid of that minor surface rust lickity split.

awldune

Sam
User
I think you got a decent deal at that price.

As mentioned, there should be a set screw on the tailstock for adjusting the alignment.

I believe this lathe should have a #1 morse taper at the headstock and tailstock. This size is nonstandard but usually available if you look for it.

The spindle should be 3/4 x 16, but I would double check that before buying accessories.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want a matching one in Rigid colors, let me know.

eightfingers

New User
Eight
Well I believe I am going to try and sell this one and get something more... modern and user friendly.

I think even a cheap ebay lathe would be better to learn on than this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS