Old Nailers and Staplers

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Looking around, it seems the nickle squeezers at the tool cartel have milked about everything they can out of finish guns. While they're smaller and lighter*, they seem to almost be disposable. Seems like my boss buys a brad nailer at least once a year.

I'm not old enough to remember the large nailers of the 80s, but I'm hoping there's some folks around there that are. I'm thinking about getting a few older Sencos to rebuild (Senco seems to have good parts availability on older models). I need a finish nailer, a brad nailer, and a stapler to do 99% of my work.

So, what do y'all think? Lost cause? Some older carpenters I've talked to said the old guns were a pain and jammed a lot, but knowing them I'd say anything is a pain if you abuse it and never maintenance it. Also, the new guns are a pain and jam a lot.

*I like a heavy nail gun with less recoil that won't leave a nail proud when your shooting in a tight spot at a weird angle behind your back around a corner blindfolded.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I’m leary of old mechanical tools, especially air tools that can get a lot of wear from use, but if there are good brands that can be refurbished, they can be valuable. Hope you get something worth your while - nailers can be a blessing or a curse.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The older tools were made for manufacturing where the air pressure could be monitored. Little compressors of today have a wild range of pressure so when they get down to kick-on pressure, that's often too little pressure to set the longer nails and staples. Keep the pressure around 100 and you should do OK.

Senco made a bewildering range of staplers. You'll have to be more specific on that. The M-II and M-III were popular for sheathing and putting plywood down for good.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can get some parts I have a few Sencos that you can have very inexpensively. They don’t jam hardly at all. I just don’t use them anymore. I have at least one sfn2 and maybe two. I also have an ls4 and an ls3. These were purchased in the early nineties and used well into the early 2000s. I retired them and my father rebuilt them for himself. He’s not using tools anymore and if you can make use of them I will cut you really good price. If you’re interested send a private message and we will go from there.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS