Old Eyes Question,

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I am getting Cataract surgery next month. My eyes were 20/20 until the cataract on the right eye, so the question. Has anyone ever had the bifocal lens inter-ocular lens inserted versus just the regular lens. I am ok with reading glasses, but curious those who have had this procedule done, any advice comments?

Thx

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Have not - but I do have one 'normal' implanted lens (had a unilateral cataract due to injury).
My contact prescription has one eye focussed on distance, and the other on close-up. Dr said some people can't get used to it, but I had no trouble, nor did my wife.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My late wife had that done some 15 years ago. We had to pay an upcharge but she loved not having to use reading glasses.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
Had it done in feb this year did the upgrade for no more glasses a little costly for the upgrade but no regrets would do again very pleased

• Thanks

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
My wife spent $6,000 on her eye surgery. The sell pitch for the premium choice was she would never have to wear any kind of glasses. She needs reading glasses now.

• Thanks

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My Dr. recommended not. I have both stigmatism and prism, so even though I am 20-20 past 5 feet, I still wear bi-focals and 3 different strength of reading glasses. Remember, after the implant, you can't dynamically focus, so reading is a fixed length. Period. A real pain, but far better than not seeing.

I paid the extra for the laser rather than the scalpel version. A little less risk.

Get ready for a drastic change in color. What you think was white is not even close. With one eye done, you will see an increasable difference. For me, a lot changed as I was over 9 diopters nearsighted, so spatial relations changed. You won't have that.

Well, having worn glasses all my life has probably saved my vision more than once, so I guess it all works out.

• Thanks

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I just had standard cataract surgery on both eyes which gave me 20/20 in left and 20/25 in right eye. Since I've worn bifocals for most of my 78 years and have some astigmatism, I opted for bifocals again and I am very pleased. Got transition lenses since I spend a good deal of time outdoors (but they don't work when driving since the windshield on my Camry has UV blocking). I have pair of plain sunglasses that I can wear in that case.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got to have those plain sunglasses as polarized are useless in a lot of cars. Can't see a Garmin screen, can't see the display in a Mini. LCD and Gas Florecent are polarized!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS