Old camera tripod re-construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Long ago, in the early 1980's IIRC, I purchased some old camera tripod cherry wood legs, sans head, at a San Francisco shop called "Tools of the Trade" which specialized in used, recycled tools; they still have the price marked in black marker, $7.50! These would date back before WWII, and are on the small side so were from a low-end tripod of its time.

I finally noticed I had an ideal piece of wood in the scrapbox, some Phillipine mahogany 5/8in thick, not too bad; my old Graflex Crown Jr. tripod had a head 1/2in thick IIRC. I whipped up the new head quickly using the lathe face plate, after cutting the corners off, and applied OIL/WAX finish:

DSCF2821.JPG

Here's the bottom side, with shop-made brackets (K&S Hobby Brass) affixed:

DSCF2824.JPG

Here's the goods assembled, with traditional green felt on the top:

DSCF2822.JPG

I see that, although the gallery allowed me to edit the rotation of the image, it does not seem to apply to showing that way in the forum!

I have to get some brass knurled thumb nuts from the hardware, for the cameral affixing screw, to complete the project; also will cut a brass washer/plate to affix in the bottom recess which will provide the captive-screw.

Hope you like it, regards,

John

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very nice restoration, I had one just like that in almost like new condition. Not sure where it is now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS