Oh No!...I'm getting cranky again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
The style might kill you, but you should check out Ishtani Furniture's youtube channel and watch a video or two of his. He has some drool worthy machines, is very proficient in his methods, builds beautiful furniture and produces some very artistic and powerful videos of his woodworking process.

Okay, I took your suggestion and just finished watching two videos from Ishtani Furniture in which he made a table and a bed. I thought they were excellent documentaries showing how a true craftsman produces his furniture. As for their instructional value, I thought they were quite low, although I doubt instruction was his intent. There were several places that I would have loved the opportunity to ask a question. I didn't miss the narration because just about everything he did was self explanatory, unlike the videos that prompted my original post. Unfortunately, for every video like Ishtani's, there seem to be a dozen where it's impossible to figure out what's being done and why.

I suppose my 34 years of teaching makes me look for the educational qualities of a video above anything else. In my arrogance, I thought that's what everybody looked for. Thanks to all who responded to this post for reminding me that my personal preferences aren't shared by everyone else - and that's how it should be. That's why they make cars in different colors.

Ernie

JGregJ

New User
Greg
While the internet and YouTube have lots of useless crap, I am pleased that we are living in the age of the internet. Never before in the history of man have had the technology where anyone can distribute information to the masses in such an efficient way. So yes there is lots of crap to wade through, but we are blessed with the ability to sit a home, search and find information and training at our fingertips, delivered to us for minimal cost.

Rick M

New User
Rick
... check out Ishtani Furniture's youtube channel ...

One of my favorite channels.

I am pro-narration but I don't think it's about the narration but about putting together a cohesive story about the making of something. Or to put it another way, organizing the steps logically so the viewer understands what is happening and where it fits within the entire process. New Yankee Workshop is the best example. You always knew exactly what Norm was doing, why, and where it fit in the process of making. Roy Underhill also accomplishes this if a bit less organized. Ishtani does it without narration although it's not as fluid and sometimes I can't tell what part he's working on. Matthias Wandel (woodgears youtube) is superb at making videos that logically progress, I would consider him nearly as good as Norm.

The people who film too much and speed it up, or talk too much, aren't succeeding at making a good logical presentation. But it's more difficult than it looks. I've made enough videos to know how much work goes into making a good video -- sound, lighting, environment, and storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS