Official Gloat and Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
rikonlatahe.jpg

I actually had this assembled and running test turning, Tuesday 5/16/2006 in the morning. But This is the first chance to actually upload pictures.

As I'm sure most of you know I am not a turner. My only other experience was with a Delta Midi during a turning class. So the first thing that jumps out at me is a general feeling that it is easier to use. The tool rest is bigger. Changing speeds is easier. As I get into this further, I'll report more with possibly more meaningful comments when I get chance to actually turn a few things.

But again Thank You very much.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice gloat Steve. Good looking lathe, except it's too clean:-D!
I'm glad WE were finally able to do something for YOU. You deserve it!
Enjoy your new toy, er.....tool:lol:.
Take care,

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now Steve!!!!!!!!!!!

You did turn that piece mounted in the lathe right!!! It isn't a piece of 1" dowel that you bought at the BORG is it????:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the picture and you be sure to enjoy it. You deserve it, immensely!

Oh ya, by the way...... YOU SUCK

Wayne

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
PappyJ said:
Nice gloat Steve. Good looking lathe, except it's too clean:-D!
I'm glad WE were finally able to do something for YOU. You deserve it!
Enjoy your new toy, er.....tool:lol:.
Take care,

Ah come on it's got shavings on it. I sprinkled some on from my DC:lol:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Canuck said:
Now Steve!!!!!!!!!!!

You did turn that piece mounted in the lathe right!!! It isn't a piece of 1" dowel that you bought at the BORG is it????:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the picture and you be sure to enjoy it. You deserve it, immensely!

Oh ya, by the way...... YOU SUCK

Wayne

That "dowel" looks pretty SQUARE to me:lol:. I don't think the motor has even been turned on. He's too busy working on this website to do any turning!!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
PappyJ said:
That "dowel" looks pretty SQUARE to me:lol:. I don't think the motor has even been turned on. He's too busy working on this website to do any turning!!

Your right it is square except for the part over the tool rest which is all chipped and splintered

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My apologies, Steve.

These old eyes are playing tricks on me! :-?

Practice, practice, practice! (I can't imagine how much wood I have gone through tryin' to cut thru dovetails with my PC4212 jig!:BangHead: :BangHead: )

Have Fun!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow the first square turning on a lathe :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a sweet looking lathe, I am glad that you are having a better experience with it than your past experiences. Enjoy!!!!
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice lookin' tool ya got there! :icon_thum If you're just getting started, you might find it easier to start with shorter stock.... although I know it's fun to put a piece of wood on there to show the max capacity. :mrgreen:

If you put a long piece on there like that, and start in the middle like you're doing, you'll find that the wood will vibrate excessively and make you feel like you're doing something wrong. I would suggest a shorter piece (say, 12-14" or so), and start rounding the corners off from the END, not in the middle. Take the first few cuts starting maybe a couple of inches from one end, moving toward the end. Once the end is pretty round, start moving your cuts progressively toward the center (but with the bevel still cutting in the same direction - toward the round end). If you start in the middle and move toward the end, you'll get a catch and tearout a corner.

Once you get used to going from square to round (which will only take a piece or two), then move on to longer pieces so you can work on figuring out how to minimize vibration. For a piece as long and thin as you have pictured, I'd suggest a steady rest.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Steve,
Thanks for enjoying it! It's doubly inspirational as that has to be the quickest you have ever unboxed and setup a tool . . . and actually using it too :cool:

Turn, Turn, Turn,
Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
sapwood said:
Steve,
It's doubly inspirational as that has to be the quickest you have ever unboxed and setup a tool . . . and actually using it too :cool:

Turn, Turn, Turn,
Sapwood

It could be a new record :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :lol: :lol: :lol:
And to think I was worried he wouldn't use it :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Steve -- great picture of your first shavings on the new lathe -- you said you liked the wide tool rest -- is that where you placed the screwdriver you made the shavings with? :roll: In all seriousness, at the rate you are going, you'll have turned a set of goblets by Memorial Day to serve up a toast to our American Servicemen and Women! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
Peer pressure - from us????? What ever do you mean??? As others have said, we were glad to be able to finally do something FOR you! Oh, and we expect pictures of the goblets soon :lol: .

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You deserved it for everything you do and have done. Now, I'm not a turner, but I think that long piece of wood in the picture is supposed to come out round. So, thanks to all your work this site can operate okay for a bit without you. Forget about it and taking pictures and Go Enjoy Yourself!!

MHO Go:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS