Offer from Marlen Kemmet from Wood Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
During a telephone discussion today, Marlon offer to come talk to our group (Obviously to be usefule to us it would have to be at the annual picnic/meeting). The catch is we would have to pick up his airfare and lodging. That could kill the idea as:

1. That is $ we have not budgeted,
2. I am not sure of the return to NCWW,
3. We have no precedent for this, and
4. I amnot sure the logistics could be worked out in 6 weeks.

Any thoughts?

Doug

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Offer from Maran Kemmet from Wood Magazine

If we act fast enough, the cost could be manageable around $800.00.

If we were to get feature coverage, I think it would be money well invested.
However, if we jusy get a mention, No Sale!

That's part of the job...Set Precedents.

Just enough time if we can decide quick.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

During a telephone discussion today, Marlon offer to come talk to our group (Obviously to be usefule to us it would have to be at the annual picnic/meeting). The catch is we would have to pick up his airfare and lodging. That could kill the idea as:

Any thoughts?

Doug

Point 1 - While we have not budgeted I do not see this as the show stopper

Point 2 - I also do not see a real value add.

Point 3 - As a new org a lot we have done had no real precedent.

Point 4 - It would be tight but do-able IMHO

Bottom-line I do not see the value but I am open if someone can demonstrate otherwise.

M

McRabbet

The key issue is some greater benefit than his coming to our picnic to talk about Wood Magazine at our expense. We need some assurance that Wood Magazine will provide a tangible outcome -- I'd suggest an article on NC Woodworker, our picnic and some of our key woodworkers (like Earl Rasmussen or Larry Rose to name just two). We are unique and there is value in Wood telling that story (why do you think he is interested in us in the first place?). But before we agree, we need a reasonable return on an investment of that size (probably $1,000 if we feed him and add a hotel room for the night).

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Hmm... That's a tough one. It would have to be an article, not a mention. All great points made so far. The problem is defining "return on investment." In this case it is pretty hard to track any tangible effects from it.

I think I recall a similar discussion coming up some time ago. In that discussion I think that the final verdict was that the most it would do is give us a substantial amount of new member applicants that, for the most part, don't meet the residency requirements. If NCWWer had no residency requirements, I'd be 100% all for it, but I don't know how much of a tangible benefit it would be other than a few new members and some good publicity to a large audience that, for the most part, doesn't meet the residency requirements.

These are just my thoughts on it. I'm on the fence...

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Interesting proposal indeed.
Good points brought up and discussed.
We are setting precedents every day.
Money is an issue but looks like doable.
Time while tight shouldn't stop our trying.

It might be hard to establish worth. In the last 4 weeks we have gained 106 new registered members.
Maybe if we got an article there could be a very large one time growth spurt. I don't know about long term or repetitive numbers.
I'd almost envision a result of other states looking into a similar organization which would be great, but of what value to us?

I'm not against it at all, but as of now, I'm not sure I see an offsetting return on the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS