Off topic forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
The off topic forum, and what should/should not be posted on it has been discussed quite a bit lately. I remember that in our last telephone conference it was stated by someone that, basically, anything posted on that forum should be woodworking related but that it be something that didn't quite fit the other forums. I'm para-phrasing here. Later in that call, someone pointed out that wasn't correct in that it didn't have to be woodworking related. The following appears beneath the off topic forum on the forum list (it was copied and pasted here):

"Our new off topic forum. This is the place to discuss non-woodworking or non-site related topics. Be advised that the posting rules for this forum are same as all other forums."

I'm not defending any of the posts that have been made on that forum but would like to point out that, according to the decription above, most, if not all, are not in violation of policy unless they are personal attacks, religious or political in nature, or in some other way violate the posting rules referred to. Most of the posts on the off topic forum are not woodworking related. If you use the posted description of the off topic forum as a guide, most of the criticisims and moderation of many of the topics should not have been made. Most members assume that it is OK to post, as long as posting rules are adherred to, non-woodworking topics on the forum and then become confused/angry when they are moderated.

We will continue to have this problem until we do one of three things:

1) The staff, moderators, and BoD accept that non-woodworking topics, no matter what the topic, can be discussed as long as the posting rules are observed and adherred to.

2) The description of the forum be changed and it is clearly stated that all posts on the off topic must be woodworking related but the content of the post doesn't fit any of the other woodworking forums.

3) The off topic forum be permanently closed.

The purpose, and the way in which the forum can be used, is very ambiguous as it now stands. I suggest that the BoD address this issue and come to a firm decision as soon as possible. We ask the members for their financial support, so I don't think it would be unreasonable to get input from the membership as to what they would like in terms of an off topic forum.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I do not have issues with having an off topic forum, and for the most part, it stays civil. There is the occassional thread that goes bad (like the cell phone), but I don't think the thread itself was instigating anything.

My thoughts are there are going to be occassional issues with it, but I don't see that many threads getting out of control. Saw stop seems to be a different story....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS