off to the sawmill for the first time! Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You see that Scott?

*sigh*

You really should try to be more serious in your messages...

Your friend,
Pot

Kevin, you are so right. I will try to do a better job of being serious in the future. Perhaps I should read some of your posts for inspiration?

Your friend,

Kettle

Scott

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Chilihead, once you get hooked at the mill, make a trip up here. Sawing some 5' diameter oaks and 4' sycamores soon, once quartered and trimmed, we will be sawing 24" wide quartersawn 8/4 boards....might be a good time to see.....feel how it weighs green :)

As the others have said, be patient with air drying before finding a kiln. It's cheaper to buy lumber already dried than it is to ruin your wood, and fall back to buying it once you realize it. I air dry out of the sun, out of the rain but still with air flow. It helps with checking and staining.

Chris

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Chilihead, once you get hooked at the mill, make a trip up here. Sawing some 5' diameter oaks and 4' sycamores soon, once quartered and trimmed, we will be sawing 24" wide quartersawn 8/4 boards....might be a good time to see.....feel how it weighs green :)

As the others have said, be patient with air drying before finding a kiln. It's cheaper to buy lumber already dried than it is to ruin your wood, and fall back to buying it once you realize it. I air dry out of the sun, out of the rain but still with air flow. It helps with checking and staining.

Chris
Offbearer will travel :lol

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Well folks, 4.5 hours of milling yielded about 600bd ft of quarter sawn oak!!! Wow, I didn't realize how much lumber was in those 2 logs. A few months of air drying and then into a solar kiln for a few more. It should be ready by Fall. That'll give me time to figure out where I'm going to store all of this wood when I get it home. Thanks to all for the advice.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
chilihead, looks like you have a good stack, and when you build your furniture you will have a story that goes with it, I think that is better than the finished product itself sometimes.

jeff, come on down....it's warmer here. I'm sure the guys won't mind another person stepping in to help. The easy and fun part is getting the log in half. after that it's all work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS