Odd Size Dust Collector Intake

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
I have a dust collector with a 7-1/2” diameter intake port. I want to set it up and reduce to either 4” or 6” pipe to match my equipment, but don’t know what size reducer I need to use with that odd size intake port 7” or 8”? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I would modify a metal 8" x 6" reducer to fit the 7-1/2" port -- use tape to make it leakproof.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I would slide it inside the intake port. That way, you have the least amount of friction (although I doubt it would matter very much going from 6" to 7 1/2"). As Rob suggested, tape it afterward, using the metal foil tape.

To connect 6" PVC to my dust collector inlet, I used a metal reducer as well, and a crimping tool to get it to fit. I can't remember if I crimped the 8" side or the 6" side though. You can pick up a crimper for $20, or you can borrow mine if you want. I only use mine every 7 years or so...

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The port was probably made to a metric size. European made machinery is made that way.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You might be able to find one of the rubber plumbing fittings with the metal straps around them that can be made to fit at one of the Big Box stores.

Lowespro2

Nick
Senior User
Thanks for the advice guys! I think I’m going to try the 8” to 6” metal reducer and try crimping it to decrease the diameter to the 7.5” and insert into the intake port. Then I’ll tape it!

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Hi

I would go to a HVAC guy and tell them what you want. Let them make a nice smooth flowing one or take a 8" to 6" and make a nice crimp on it. When I installed my system a borrowed a crimper with differnet dies from a HVAC business, it made all my connections real smooth and tight. Keep air friction down.

Attachments

• Crimper-1.jpg
    Crimper-1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Crimper-2.jpg
    Crimper-2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 140

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS