Oak Flooring w/ Contrasting wood? Picture of my Son!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

I bought some Spiced oak flooring from lowes.

1: None of the Shoe molding or transition molding really match the color of the floor :BangHead:
2: Couldn't find the stain at lowes to match. :BangHead:

3:So I am thinking of using a contrasting colored wood for mentioned pieces. :eusa_thin

4:What wood do you think will match/contrast well? :icon_scra :notworthy: And hold up well? :icon_scra

I'm thinking Walnut??? If Walnut- Would wood movement not go well with the Oak? :dontknow:

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Oak Flooring with??? Contrasting wood???

How about a picture of what you have?

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Matthew if you got the prefinished flooring and it did not come with the pieces that you mentioned then yes it is common that you will not have matching colors - the factory most likely used their mix of stain - even tho you get the "Spiced" mix it can still be different = JMTCW I would not go with a contrasting color for this - I would get it as close as I could and let it go - I just got through with a set of steps and the flooring guys tried to match the shoe up with the floor - didn't come close - did even put any poly on the shoe to protect it:nah: doesn't look that bad but with the lights off when they turn the lights on it will be noticed

gesiak

John
Corporate Member

When I was in SC visiting relatives for Thanksgiving, my well intentioned sons removed the old tile by the entry door and replaced it with the same thing. They came to the same realization as you that the transition molding did not match. They went with contrasting and pick a "granite" transition. I am finely getting use to it but still am looking for something else. I cant fault the guys tho, the thought is really appreciated.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach

When me and my dad were building houses together (b4 the crash, b4 I joined the navy) we used Walnut with White Oak (in the floor itself) and just sealed it and finished it clear. Looked great. Dunno what the color spiced looks like but depending on walls, crown molding and anything else that might effect you choice, contrast may be great, or may look hideous. Picture would be nice.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Matthew,

One of my main duties at work is getting shoe molding to match flooring. Get some oak shoe at Lowes, mix and match stains if you have to and get it as close as you can. :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Matthew,

One of my main duties at work is getting shoe molding to match flooring. Get some oak shoe at Lowes, mix and match stains if you have to and get it as close as you can. :icon_thum

Well Thanks for all the advice, at least I know now that the shoe molding and transition molding doesn't match if it doesn't come with the flooring.

Now here are some pictures so maybe you can help me figure out the stains I would need to get my unfinished shoe molding the same or close. I just got :eek: when I saw the prices for these pieces. For three shoe moldings and a transition piece that don't match will be $56 dollars and I paid $59 for the flooring :icon_scra Just doesn't make sense :no:

Without flash:

And with a Flash:

Hope these help out. There is also an unfinished piece of shoe molding in the far part of the box to help with what it needs to look like.

Thanks everyone for your help~!!! :notworthy: :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Matthew - to me that flooring looks pretty close to natural - but that is me looking through one good eye and that is with my glasses on - I would try some semipoly first to see how close it is - If not to your desire after that try some Honey Oak stain - I am no expert JMTCW

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach

Well... I agree, pretty close to natural. Get some sacrifice pieces and mix a few batches with different stains to get close. Here is Minwax Color guide:
http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_stains/wood_finish.html#Colors
By the way. NEVER USE POLYSHADES! They stink!

Anyway very small batches and record your mixture VERY specifically and I'm sure you can get it so close that no one would know but you.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

That looks very close to natural to me too. My first thought was Minwax Pecan, or "Golden Pecan" then finish with poly. You might not even need a stain at all. I would try just poly the first time and see how close that is, then if you need stain, go from there.

+1 on cutting a foot or two off of a stick of oak shoe and trying different stains, mixtures.

It doesn't have to match exactly, as long as it is pretty close, most folks won't know the difference.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

That looks very close to natural to me too. My first thought was Minwax Pecan, or "Golden Pecan" then finish with poly. You might not even need a stain at all. I would try just poly the first time and see how close that is, then if you need stain, go from there.

+1 on cutting a foot or two off of a stick of oak shoe and trying different stains, mixtures.

It doesn't have to match exactly, as long as it is pretty close, most folks won't know the difference.

That stain actually looks really close to the color. Thanks I'll go pick up a small can of Golden pecan.

And here is the flooring installed....Installed it last night in a couple hours.

With Natural light (Door Open)

And With my son and Natural light to help with the color

Hope I did a good job!

jhreed

New User
james
You do not have to worry about wood movement. the molding is fastened to the wall, not the floor. the flooring moves under the molding.
I have plenty of white oak, if you want to mill your own. the cost for the oak to you would be $00.00.
If this price is right & you want it, let me know. You can mill it our we can do it in my dungeon.
James H. Reed

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
From the looks of that first picture taken in the garage, that "shoe" molding looks more like a combat boot. I think its gonna take a little more than minwax stain top get it to match! :rotflm:

Go

terry1166

New User
Terry
I guess my thinking must be backward on this from the comments everyone else is making, but in my opinion, the shoe mold makes up part of the base profile and I want it to match the base finish, not the floor.

Terry Davis

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
You do not have to worry about wood movement. the molding is fastened to the wall, not the floor. the flooring moves under the molding.
I have plenty of white oak, if you want to mill your own. the cost for the oak to you would be $00.00.
If this price is right & you want it, let me know. You can mill it our we can do it in my dungeon.
James H. Reed

Well Then I have a problem as the oak flooring does not go under the white MDF molding, there is about a 1/4 gap on both sides as I thought the oak shoe molding covered that gap up. If I would have known that it needed to go under the White MDF molding, I would have cut it with the new Craftsman Multi-tool I picked up. :BangHead:

I hope I didn' screw this up. :eusa_doh:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Well Then I have a problem as the oak flooring does not go under the white MDF molding, there is about a 1/4 gap on both sides as I thought the oak shoe molding covered that gap up. If I would have known that it needed to go under the White MDF molding, I would have cut it with the new Craftsman Multi-tool I picked up. :BangHead: I hope I didn' screw this up. :eusa_doh:

Matthew, it does not nessesarylly have to go under the baseboard - you say you have about 1/4" all of the way around your flooring -that should be fine - your shoe molding should cover this - if you are worried about the movement - when you shoot your molding dowm try to angle your nails into either the base or the 1/4 gap - If this is hardwood floor I do not understand why there would be movement anyway - didn't you nail the flooring down - the hardwood we install is T&G nailed down with 2" staples and some is even "face" shot when we get to close to the wall for the staple nailer - we have never had to go back to a job to fix any flooring - JMTCW

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Even if you paint the shoe which will also look good you are still going to have to stain the transition strip - Do not paint the TS - with all of the walking on it you need stain and poly or just poly to protect it and it will be much easier to clean = The only thing I do not like about painted shoe is that it will show dust and dirt quicker then the stain will - JMTCW

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I guess my thinking must be backward on this from the comments everyone else is making, but in my opinion, the shoe mold makes up part of the base profile and I want it to match the base finish, not the floor.

Terry Davis

My shoe molding matches the hardwood floor, not the baseboard. Where I have tile, it is painted to match the baseboard. This is how they did my house which is fairly new. Just to give you something to go by.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors