Now I can heat and cool my shop!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I finished the last of 3 little projects to permit me to heat and cool my shop. The limitation I was addressing is my dog. She gets very excited if she cannot see me but the noise in my shop is too much for her ears if the equipment is on. So my solution was to put her on a cable in the front and leave the garage door open. When the weather is mild, this is a good solution. But if it is really hot or cold, not so good. Trying to heat or cool with a 9 foot wide door open isn't very effective.

My solution was to move one gate, fix the other and to add a doggie door to the man door on the back side of the shop. The first picture shows the dog door and at the right edge you can see a bit of the relocated gate. It is now between my shed and shop garage in a narrow area. That gives my dog access to the side of the house I treat as the back (since the back is on the lake) and the fenced back yard. The other picture shows the gate on the other side of the house. It is the same ornamental steel gate as on the other side. It only needed to be fixed so it worked properly. The posts were not parallel or far enough apart so I cut one off and put up a new one.

So now I can let my little dog go in and out as she likes while I work in the shop. She is a little scared of the dog door but has gone both ways through it. I think she'll get used to it. I'll use a little space heater this winter and probably get a small window unit next summer.

Attachments

• dog door.jpg
    dog door.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 198
  • front gate.jpg
    front gate.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
i have two indoor dogs and they both enjoy being able to see me. In my current house i moved the solid door from the garage to the house to the back door which was mostly glass. The hinges were the same and the only thing i had to do was drill a hole for the deadbolt. Now the dogs can see me but don't have to be around the noise and dust.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
That would have been nice. My shop garage is on the other side of my car garage which has the door to the house. There is, by design, no direct access from the car garage to the shop (ex wife wanted to minimize noise and dust from the house).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS