Novice with Refined Interests

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyscott

New User
Tim
I've always dabbled with wood. Mostly construction of arbors, gazebos, bookshelves, closet organizers...... Now that I'm retired I want to make furniture. Having taken a course in Basic Woodworking I find I need a bandsaw, a planer, a router table and a jointer! I'll have to figure out if I should buy new, used, or a combo. First project-up, bunkbeds for the grandchildren. I'm a Southern California Boy whose lived in Atlanta, Chicago, Plano, TX and now Belmont North Carolina and glad to be here. Thanks for the Great Site.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site.

Sit back and enjoy

There are plenty of resources here for advice regarding tool purchases!:)

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard.

Most of us here will be more than happy to help you spend your tool budget. :)

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Welcome to the crowd,lots of friendly folk here abouts.You will get plenty of help buying tools here.
Tony

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've always dabbled with wood. Mostly construction of arbors, gazebos, bookshelves, closet organizers...... Now that I'm retired I want to make furniture. Having taken a course in Basic Woodworking I find I need a bandsaw, a planer, a router table and a jointer! I'll have to figure out if I should buy new, used, or a combo. First project-up, bunkbeds for the grandchildren. I'm a Southern California Boy whose lived in Atlanta, Chicago, Plano, TX and now Belmont North Carolina and glad to be here. Thanks for the Great Site.

Welcome!

FWIW, I got by for a long time without a bandsaw (using a handheld scrollsaw in its place) - depends a lot on what kind of furniture you will be building. There are jigs for the table saw, router, router table and planer that will substitute for a jointer, sometimes offering significant advantages. I no longer have a jointer for that reason.

mightyscott

New User
Tim
Boiler UP! While personally not a Boiler, financially I am - both of my sons are Purdue Grads as well as one of my daughter-in-laws. The other daughter-in-law is a Fighting Illini, but we love her anyway. So family wise, Go Big Ten, twelve strong!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS