November 2016 Contest - Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK, I'll start this off. Susan added some faux flowers to this vessel and I think they really set it off nicely.

DSC_00285.jpg

DSC_00271.jpg

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I'm gonna throw in one of my turnings. It was a wedding gift for a family member. The goblet is made of walnut and maple with 2 rings that have the names of the couple one ring and their wedding date on the other. I just wish I had taken some better pictures of it before it was gifted to them. It now resides in Scotland, UK. Hope you guys like it. Thanks for looking
!weddinggoblet2.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like I need to bring this back up to the top of the forum.

I made these two Enhanced Cigar Pens as gifts for two close friends.
The first one is made with Bloodwood and second is made from Ebony (edge of heartwood and sapwood).
ENH-Cigar-Bloodwood.jpgENH-Cigar-Ebony.jpg

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
REMINDER!!! November is quickly coming to an end. I only see a very small number of entries for the wood turners! Get your entry in soon! I know I keep forgetting...DO it...TODAY!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Honey Locust Wet.

One of those you keep wet, turn it as thin as you dare, then place it on the bench to dry for a surprise the next morning.

Honey Locust Wet.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I only just started working with a lathe and finally had some time to practice a little, I humbley put forth a new handle for one of my chisels in dire need of oneIMG_1716.JPG

JGregJ

New User
Greg
Christmas tree ornament made from eastern red cedar from limb in backyard tree.
Finished with CA glue. Hopefully someday a tiny bird will make it home.

Ornament.jpg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Wasn't planning to take part in this as I know there are many more skilled turners than I
But in the spirit of sharing here it is.
I think this is one of my two favorites in my brief history, gifted them both to an old friend and her dad- both woodworkers and turners.

Hickory bowl with undercut lip.
P1080325.JPG

P1080327.JPG

P1080326.JPG

Found this log in the gutter and got about 10 or 12 bowls from it.
This was one of the largest at around 10" dia.
Really like the character in this wood.
There's a crack there that I filled with CA and coffee grounds.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guess I should add this one to thread. Sorry I posted it on a new thread. Hickory, pith is showing with branch to the side. HT ~6", Bottom dia., ~4"
20161122_173415.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. so I know it is stupid to submit more than one turning, but I learned hollow vessel turning at a workshop.
20161126_115835_resized_1.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
...and I found this piece of crotch oak (pin oak) I think and I know you just "take away all the stuff that doesn't make it look like a... (bowl, vessel, etc.)", but even I was shocked when I opened this piece of wood! and yes, that is a knot going crosswise through the bowl!
20161126_115854_resized_1.jpg

20161126_115912_1480509057898_resized.jpg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
So l'll be stupid also. Just glad to have you guys let me show what I'm learning. Sweet gum bowls courtesy of Hurricane Matthew.
20161130_202918.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS