Novelty Wood Works Co Union City PA Desk

codyto1999

New User
Codyto1999
Thank you for the account acceptance! I have a desk(pictures below) and looking for what it might be worth. I found a post on this site from a while ago referencing a desk of the same manufacturer and style. However haven't been able to find any values online. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    354.2 KB · Views: 279
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    385.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    381.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    364.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    391 KB · Views: 232
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    353.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    379.5 KB · Views: 239

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome @codyto1999
There may be someone here that knows and could help you, but we typically are a "Woodworking forum" designing and building things for ourselves or for sale.

This is more for an appraiser or antique seller to help you price an antique for sale or perform an appraisal for insurance purposes.

Reactions: drw

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
It looks to me like it is missing a couple of drawers below the writing surface but I don't know all that much about factory-made furniture designs of the past.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The rift white oak veneer seems to be in good shape judging from the photographs. Matching that pattern on newly made drawer fronts may get steep unless you're doing it yourself.
The project of making matching drawers would be what we're best at commenting on.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Don't know anything about the company, so I can imagine they were gone before 1970. I lived not far from Union City and went there frequently for building materials, as well as dealing with a number of farms in the area when I was in the farm supply business. For a time I also trucked ash logs to the Union Fork And Hoe plant for their handle stock. At that time I remember the Cherry Hill Division of Ethan Allen and Union City Chair Company and a boat builder MFG. None of those plants exist there anymore as high taxes and government regulations as well as the unions drove most manufacturers from the northwestern tier of Pennsylvania and the southwestern tier of New York State south or overseas. Of the different places I worked not one is still there.
Wish you had the drawers for the desk, as it is it has little value as an antique without them.

tiswritten

Tis
User
Don't know anything about the company, so I can imagine they were gone before 1970. I lived not far from Union City and went there frequently for building materials, as well as dealing with a number of farms in the area when I was in the farm supply business. For a time I also trucked ash logs to the Union Fork And Hoe plant for their handle stock. At that time I remember the Cherry Hill Division of Ethan Allen and Union City Chair Company and a boat builder MFG. None of those plants exist there anymore as high taxes and government regulations as well as the unions drove most manufacturers from the northwestern tier of Pennsylvania and the southwestern tier of New York State south or overseas. Of the different places I worked not one is still there.
Wish you had the drawers for the desk, as it is it has little value as an antique without them.
Small world...I was born/raised on a dairy farm in Spartansburg, PA, just up the road from Union City. In fact, my grandfather was part owner of 6&8 Builders Supply in Union City. I spent a lot of time there as a young boy.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Small world...I was born/raised on a dairy farm in Spartansburg, PA, just up the road from Union City. In fact, my grandfather was part owner of 6&8 Builders Supply in Union City. I spent a lot of time there as a young boy.
Was your Grandfather Noah Shrock? I lived near Clymer and bought quite a lot of building materials there. I had the IBA Farm Service for about 10 years but sold the business in 1989, was also a United Methodist pastor for a few years.

tiswritten

Tis
User
Was your Grandfather Noah Shrock? I lived near Clymer and bought quite a lot of building materials there. I had the IBA Farm Service for about 10 years but sold the business in 1989, was also a United Methodist pastor for a few years.
Noah was like a grandfather to me since I spent so much time at the store when I was young, but my grandfather was his partner, Andy Boythe. At some point in the 80's, I believe Noah bought out my grandfather's share in the company.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS