'nother scrap wood box

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My wife wanted to get rid of me Sunday night so she asked for a box to hold her knitting needles:roll: She wanted to hang out with a friend and I got shop time without guilt, a win win situation. Well, this is what I came up with out of cherry and maple.

Knittingneedlebox010.jpg

Knittingneedlebox009.jpg

Knittingneedlebox006.jpg

There has been much talk about my "scrap" pile, and I thought that I would
define what I consider "scrap". To me that is anything cut off a board designated for another project. If I have an 8' walnut board and I use 6' of it the remaining 2' is scrap in my eyes. Many things I make are out of re-sawn boards, I can cut a 3/8" box side and leave a 1/4" box top. As you have seen I've been working a lot with cherry, and that is from my score of someone else cherry scrap. Most of the maple I've been using is leftover from the desk I made last year. SO that just goes to prove that one man's scrap is another man's treasure. What is the smallest piece of wood you save? I have strips of maple 1/16" thick by 1/4" wide, it will be an inlay some day. I may have a problem, I can't get rid of any good wood. Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
This is really nice. I seem to be saying that alot about your work. But dang it, it's nice. You do excellent work. What's the finish? All I have is oak. I need to get some other types, but my wallet squeezes up when I price other stuff. Excellent work!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, Clay. The finish is Danish Oil, it's still wet. I'll probably top coat it with Deft lacquer or blonde shellac in a few days. I like the Danish Oil 'cause I can do it in a hour or so, wait a few days and top coat with another quick drying finish and be done.

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Dave.:icon_thum I stumbled across these photos in your gallery when I went to look at Mshel's bulk upload in his gallery. You really do great work. Are those barrel hinges for the lid? If so, what size are they? Also, how did you join the top of the box to the sides? I really like the chamfer you used along the top edge.

As far as scrape.....I don't through away anything either. I have a bunch of that 1/16" x 1/4" stuff too. I just which I could come up with a decent way to store it.
D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DL, the barrel hinges are 5 mm from Woodcraft. I glue the top to the sides. I don't think that wood movement on this scale is an issue. I sneak up on the chamfer with the router after the top is glued. I am glad that I am not the only wood pack-rat around. I store most of my long narrow strips in 5 gal. buckets, if they warp, then, they are just scrap, no worries.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
I store most of my long narrow strips in 5 gal. buckets, if they warp, then, they are just scrap, no worries.

I cut a square piece of plastic downspout to various lengths (1, 2, 3, etc), plugged the ends, cut a window in one side of each and mounted them side by side on a board. I have that standing in a corner and store stuff like thin strips, dowels, threaded and straight metal rods, etc in it. As the pieces get shorter I move them to the next shorter container.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great idea, and easier to pick through than big old bucket of "teethpicks". Thanks for the suggestion. I do keep my dowel stock in and old Xmas wraping tube. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
Great idea, and easier to pick through than big old bucket of "teethpicks". Thanks for the suggestion. I do keep my dowel stock in and old Xmas wraping tube. Dave:)

I'll shoot a pic tomorrow so you can see what I did with mine. You being the landscaping master that you are, I would think that you should be able to locate some scrap PVC pipe laying around. That would work well too.

D L

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Great looking box! I not only save all kinds of "scrap" pieces that I generate, I raid my DH's scrap pile and recently SteveD's scrap pile!

Last edited:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Another great box, Dave! One made specifically for a purpose for someone you love will always be treasured. My wife is a needlepointer and I made a box from peroba rosa with a birdseye maple lid panel to hold her needles, magnets, laying tools etc. She still says it is one of her favorite boxes. You cannot go wrong making something beautiful for the one you love.:icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
DaveO said:

When I worked for a flooring installer, borrowing and idea from plumbers, we kept all our scraps in 6" PVC pipe, with a cap on one end, different types of wood in different tubes. occasionally it was a challenge finding pieces, and we would have to dump the entire thing out to find exactly what we were looking for. I suppose for home use, the pipe could be cut shorter, ours were about 7-8' long, to accomodate unused pieces of shoe molding.

Pete

Monty

New User
Monty
You make these boxes seem so easy -- that would be a major project for me!!! :p Thanks for posting these - I really like to see your design ideas, and I learn something from each one.

DavidF

New User
David
You made something in ONE Evening!!! You suck!!!

If I turned something out that quick Carol would assume I bought it:lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
D L Ames said:
I cut a square piece of plastic downspout to various lengths (1, 2, 3, etc), plugged the ends, cut a window in one side of each and mounted them side by side on a board. I have that standing in a corner and store stuff like thin strips, dowels, threaded and straight metal rods, etc in it. As the pieces get shorter I move them to the next shorter container.

D L

Dave, I shot a couple pix of this thing and posted them in my gallery if you want to see it. Somehow that pic of you from the internet made it into my gallery also.:lol:

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DavidF, actually the main construction took place Sunday night in about 4 hours, then an hour of sanding on Mon., then hardware and finsh Tuesday evening. So about 6 hrs. total. I had a lot of the wood already dimentioned from other projects. Not to mention the 2 hours I spent totally screwing up trying to make a purpleheart latch and handle.

There was an article on making wooden latches in one of the woodworking mags a while back (I get just about all of them, so it is very hard to remember which one). Does anyone recall that article, and which issue/mag.?????????

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I think Dave O has secretly perfected cloning (like Ping on TV). There is a Dave that monitors each forum and seven Daves turning scrap wood into gold. Oh yea, and one Dave (the one that pulled the short straw) that actually works his day job. Share the secrets dude, your killing me.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
I think Dave O has secretly perfected cloning (like Ping on TV). There is a Dave that monitors each forum and seven Daves turning scrap wood into gold. Oh yea, and one Dave (the one that pulled the short straw) that actually works his day job. Share the secrets dude, your killing me.
So that's how he does it!

D L

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Great looking box, nice corner joints. By the way, why do we call it scrap? No such thing as scrap wood, we all use it. The only thing you throw away is junk or waste.

DavidF

New User
David
6 hrs is still pretty good going for such a nice box - I promise myself at the end of everyone of my complex projects to make something with at least one square edge!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
'nother great job DaveO!
But slow down, you're making me dizzy :drunken_s

At least think of LOYL, she deserves better than Rodeo Sex :mrgreen:

Sapwood (working on a box for two weeks now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors