Notched Dentil - howto ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Any ideas how to make this notched dentil trim without a dado stack, box jig and laminating two 3/8" pieces? The dentils are not cut thru and are 3/8” deep.

Thanks

Attachments

• Notched Dentil.jpg
    Notched Dentil.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 236

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chisel, mallet and a year of free time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other than that I got nothin' :slap:

Dave:)

William Bender

New User
William Bender
table saw or router table and a jig. like making mortis and tendon with a table saw except on a smaller scale. also really depends on the type of wood you are using or mdf you are using. are you painting it? staining it? for large project or for something small? do you have any lever clamps?

William

J

jeff...

William - no paint or stain just a clear finish on red oak. Will be around the top of a king size canopy bed, so yeah a large project. I have a few clamps and was thinking I might need to make this in smaller easier to manage pieces. Was hoping someone would have the plans for a cool jig or better ideas than I do.

Dave0 - the thought of a chisel and mallet crossed my mind... :eusa_doh:

Monty

New User
Monty
I'm afraid you're going to have to break down and get a dado stack. Or you could do this on the router table, of course. You'll need a zero clearance accessory fence face on your miter gauge. You can glue a block the size of one of your cutouts on one side of the saw kerf to keep the spacing even.

Do your work on the face piece (3/8") first: profile the edge on the router table using featherboards, then dado/rout the teeth. Then face glue this to a plain 3/8" board, being careful to avoid too much glue squeezout in the dadoes.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Okay, I just wrote a long rambling about this complete with how to make a finger joint jig and erased it all for this idea. :idea: Since you don't have a dado set, how about just mark the teeth on your piece, put a fence on your TS miter guage, stand the dentil piece up and make multiple passes with a regular saw blade. The top of the cuts may be ragged, but you can clean those up with a small wood file, a chisel or a knife. Might be the "cut to the chase" version for what you have to work with. :eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
jeff... said:
Any ideas how to make this notched dentil trim without a dado stack, box jig and laminating two 3/8" pieces? The dentils are not cut thru and are 3/8” deep.

Thanks

There have been a lot of good solutions/suggestions how to make dentil moulding, but is there a way that it could be done under these parameters. Other than by hand???
Just curious, I personally would laminate after cutting with a dado stack, but if it had to be done another way how could you?

Dave:)

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hmmm, overlooked the laminating part. The multiple tablesaw pass solution would of course include gluing the back on the face piece. Nixing the dado head and laminating, you could still use the multiple pass method, lay the piece flat, set-up a stop block and make stop cuts. The resulting cuts could again be cleaned up by hand. I would cut the edge shape last.

William Bender

New User
William Bender
Yeah, with red oak you are going to want to go with the table saw rather than a router, or you will have big time chip out unless you have just the right piece with proper grain and still you might have trouble. Just like said above, there are a few shows norm and other have done where they did mortis and tendon joints, if you can find them and take a look or in fine woodworking, making mortis and tendon with table saw. Glue all your pieces together, let it cure, clean and extra glue off. Use a cross cut sled, your miter guage with a board and stop attached, or varried versions of it. Lay your substrate flat, mark off your dental pattern, take your safety fence off, have lever clamps on cross cut sled too, have another board clamped past the sax blade that represents the depth you are shooting for in your dental. Push the substrate forward and notch notch notch until the teeth are cut out. Takes quiet a few passes of course, saw blade isn't made to cut out alot. Once you have the teeth cut you can make another stand up sled for your table saw and make your passes to make the profile. If you are going to use your router for the profile do that first or you will shoot your dental teeth everywhere, even if you have the sharpest blade and the best directional grain. Hope this all make sense.

William

J

jeff...

I'm very sorry, I do have a dado stack. I guess I was trying to say a dado stack and a box jig on my TS was the only way I could think of making this trim. I was hoping someone else had a better idea - very sorry I obviously mis-comunicated my intent.

Thanks

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hey jeff,
No biggie, the dado set and box jig is the best way I can think of. Gotta love woodworking, there's so many ways to do about anything.:icon_thum :icon_thum

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt a power mortise machine do this?

They arent that expensive either. About the only place you would have to sand would be the bottom of the mortise where the spinning bit bottoms out.

If it were me, I would opt with the laminated method.

Cut the detail on the edge of the board. The cut the notches with a stacked dado. The glue that board onto the backing board.

cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS