Not sure which scroll saw to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassndboat

New User
Mark
I have been thinking about buying a scroll saw. I have been looking at a Dewalt saw at Klingspore that sells for $529.00 I think. I wanted to check with some experienced scrollers before I purchased anything. What saw would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mark, I currently have a used 788 Series 1 DeWalt that I got off of CL and I love it - I was using a Dremel and it served me well through five years of hard sawing - I really like the 788 - it runs smooth - cuts great - If you can hold out and do some searching you might be able to find a good deal on a used one -

Also I have heard that the new Delta saw is comparable to the DeWalt at a lower price - not sure what model it is - I am sure someone here will know - I have not used it but I have seen great reviews on it.

Either one of these in their price range will do you good IMHO

RayH

New User
Ray
Best of luck on your search. I, too, have been looking for a scroll saw. Perhaps someone else will have better information (for both of us), but what I have seen is with the Delta sell-off they now have a scroll saw that appears to be identical to the DeWalt. Just gray instead of yellow. Another difference is the Delta motor plate says "Type I" while the current DeWalt says "Type II." Previous comments have noted the DeWalt "Type I" as being the preferred. I have no idea how it equates to Delta's.

New DeWalt prices seem to be coming down. Is it possible that the saw design was sold with Delta?:eusa_thin Even where the price stays up, they now seem to be throwing in the light and stand which used to be sold separately. Delta comes with both in the basic unit.

The best price I have found is through Tools-Plus in Connecticut. The Delta is $499 plus $6.50 shipping. No sales tax is collected if shipped to an address outside Connecticut. http://www.tools-plus.com/delta-40-690.html

There price for the DeWalt is $539 plus $6.50 shipping and no sales tax. They currently throw in the stand and light as part of the package (while quantities last). http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dw788.html

Several here have suggest the used market in classifieds here and Craigs List. There have been a couple out of the area, and I'm unable to travel for the next few weeks. So I have passed on them. Prices were higher than I like anyway.

Good luck,
Ray

CLetts

New User
Carl
I started out with a cheap ($119) Skil scrollsaw and very soon thereafter found a DeWalt on eBay. I love it and highly recommend it (I also got the optional "lift" (I think that's what it's called....it holds the arm up while changing blades), deadman foot pedal and magnifying lamp).
(btw, if anyone's interested in a Skil (I believe it's a 20"), scrollsaw in very good condition for less than half MSRP just message me)

Last edited:

bassndboat

New User
Mark
I have really never heard of a Hegner, but when I looked it up on the web, it seems like a very nice saw. How much would you take for it?

cskipper

Cathy
Hegner and Hawks are top of the line. The difference in these brands is in the motion of the arms (is truer to vertical than with other saws). The DeWalt has a linked motion which comes closer to matching this parallel motion. The reason that matters is the smoothness of the saw and the accuracy when cutting thick wood or stack cutting (the bottom piece looks like the top piece).

I have two Hegners (two houses) and LOVE them. If you buy these new you will probably spend over $1000. Tatrick, why do you "need" to get rid of yours? If you and Mark didn't make a deal you can list it in the classifieds.

Once you are in the $500+ range you might also consider the Excaliber. I haven't used one, but they are supposed to be good.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dewalt is the standard in the mid range market. They have been fro years. I have seen pics of the new Delta clone of it. They do look the same. I am just not sure what the spin off of Delta tools will mean.

My advise is to watch for a used Dewalt.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
As Scott pointed out, DeWalt is the preferred mid-price range saw of the industry. The saw currently being sold has the type ll motor, while the earlier machines had a type l. I have used both, and am very pleased the DeWalt 788, new or old. The new Delta offering is the same machine, different paint and decals. I haven't seen any of those for sale locally yet, only mail order. There is something to be said for buying a machine from a local dealer who can offer tech support if any issues arise. I'd also like to say, there are numerous other brands of scroll saws available, new and used, that are also very good machines. If I were looking for another machine, I just might go for a used Hegner, or other quality scroll saw; the moral being that no matter your decision, you will probably be happy scroll sawing with a quality saw, regardless of brand or manufacture.:saw:

RayH

New User
Ray
Woodcraft in Raleigh has had a Delta on the floor for several weeks. Don't know if there are any in the stock room. Their web site lists them at $599, but seems the sticker was something less. Just don't remember.:BangHead:

Ray

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Hi Mark,
I was in the same position as you a month or so ago, near the time when DeWalt and Delta parted ways. After CONSIDERABLE research , and coming within a hair's breadth of buying the DeWalt, I opted for the Delta from WoodWorkers Source instead. Unfortunately I've temporarily run out of "round-tuits" and so I can't personally offer feedback on actually using the saw :embaresse. Anyway, here is a synopsis of the logic (?) that went into my decision; maybe it will be helpful to you.

First, I tend to shy away from used because tool repair is not one of my skills and I know it. So...on to new: Quality, features and price brought me to the two "D" saws. Researching the corporate split led me to believe DeWalt was focusing on power hand tools, things that would be used hand-held, i.e. circular saws, drills and such, while Delta was going to focus on "shop" tools, i.e. table saws, drill presses, band saws and of course, scroll saws. My understanding, which may or may not be correct, is that the DeWalt Scroll Saw, while identical to the Delta currently, will go away when they run out of yellow painted saws. IF ANYONE KNOWS DIFFERENTLY, PLEASE CHIME IN.

Aside from that, Delta has a 5 yr warranty to DeWalt's 3 yrs and that is always significant to my way of thinking, PLUS the Delta came with the stand and light that were optional on the Dewalt. Think I've said enough - can you imagine if this was the full version instead of just the highlights?

Being that you're new to this just as I am, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose, as everybody has their own reasons for choosing the tools they want:icon_thum. Good luck to you - maybe we can compare our first scrollings.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Another vote for the Dewally/Delta :icon_thum my 788 has done everything I've asked it to do and more.
I understand that hegner is a nice saw too. I know Cathy loves hers as do others I know that have them. As a general rule, a used 788 is a good bargain at $300 or so. Even better if it is a type 1 which was made in Canada instead of across the pond like the current type 2's are. The type 2's are fine except for a short run whereby the decks were not all level
It comes down to the fact that you will grow to love whatever you choose and before you know it the blade will simply be an extension of your brain and with that the creativity will flow :mrgreen:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mark, I am 30 minutes west of Winston, and have a DeWalt 788 Type 1, if you want to stop by and try some scrolling.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Mark,
Tryingtokeepmyfingers in Charlotte has a Hegner for sale for $250. In our classifieds. Might want to check it out. Cathy Skipper cskipper can give you good advice on these.

Barbara

cskipper

Cathy
Things to look for in a used saw, and some specifically for a Hegner:
1. Does it work?
2. Does it look to have been maintained?
2. Does it still run smoothly and quietly? (it should have no vibration/noise).
3. Is the key for changing blades present? Any extra blade clamps?
4. Is there a quick release arm installed? You can tell because the release lever is on the front of the machine as opposed to the back of the arm. This can be purchased separately, but it's nice if it is already there (I think it's now standard).
5. Is the light attachment there? This is purely optional but is an awesome magnifying light - can be purchased separately.

If you go to see it and have questions feel free to call me. PM me for my phone#

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Not to detract from the Dewalt camp here, but just wanted to throw out a jab for the Excalibur. Dewalt is good no question. Excalibur has the added benefit of having an arm that moves for beveled cutting as opposed to having to move the table on most others. I bought the Excalibur on that point and the good rapport that's available with Ray at Seyco where I bought it. Was $739 with stand.

dlrion

New User
Dan
DeWalt = Cadillac

(Excaliber) = Mecedes

(Hegner) = Rolls Royce

So which is better? It is really up to personal choice. The Rolls is gonna be a LOT more expensive, but is that better?

Just my two cents.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS