Not much in the General Woodworking section

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well I have been gone from the site for some time now and I had the urge to see what people are building. Short answer seems to be not much as far as I can tell. I would have thought the current virus cautions would have lead to more projects being built? So I drop back and think is it the intense heat we have been feeling that keeps us from working?

I am not trying to be critical here, I am considering a photo collection of my journey building one of these boats. I don't want to put it in a forum category that promotes detours and thread departures so easily. I'm thinking of putting it in the Resources section to just build on it as I progress. I know this is not a boatbuilding forum but I think it might interest some of the members here to take it on.

This is a big project but I think I am ready for a long term project. Feedback is welcome

_home_ncwoodwo_public_html_pp_data__2886_wd_ribs_on_bottom_bd.jpg

AQ.JPG

AG1.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
An Adirondack Guide Boat? I've seen that last picture somewhere-Allison Warner? What wood are you using for the ribs and planking?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, placing in the Resources section would be the best option for this looking running project

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I can't wait to watch this wherever it goes. Thanks!!! I've been spending the last few weeks trying to decide on building a canoe or some kind of one or two person light watercraft.

Tom

23tony

New User
Tony
Dan, placing in the Resources section would be the best option for this looking running project

That would be confusing to me - I wouldn't look in "Resources" to follow a project, I would look there for instructions or information about tools, etc.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dan, you have been missed! Glad you are back and posting...the boat build is an awesome project, requiring an extensive skill set.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Thanks Donn I'm still getting over the class that I was supposed to attend in Maine being cancelled. Can't criticize the governor's decision looking back at it. Right now I think Maine is the only state to have a "flattened curve" as we speak. I'm sure it was tough on the local folks but they are alive and things will get better.

2009_04_02_11_03_41_WK.jpg

This is the boat I had hoped to build in June at the school house in Maine. Did not happen
5cf02bf3d241a.image.jpg

Here is the boat I will build in Durham in the near future. By the way there are more than 4000 copper tacks in the build to hold the stakes together on this boat.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
That would be confusing to me - I wouldn't look in "Resources" to follow a project, I would look there for instructions or information about tools, etc.
Well my thinking tells me to make a comment in the general woodworking section to open the boat build in the Resource section would work. That would help direct them to the process I hope to get going. If you are new to the site take a look in there now. I don't see anybody using it for information about tools.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'll be following your new project Dan. You are just the man to build a boat of such beauty and craftsmanship--happy sawdusting!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good to see you’re back, I look forward to this build.

23tony

New User
Tony
Well my thinking tells me to make a comment in the general woodworking section to open the boat build in the Resource section would work. That would help direct them to the process I hope to get going. If you are new to the site take a look in there now. I don't see anybody using it for information about tools.

Just hopped over there: looks like it's meeting minutes and instructions & plans.

If this is to be instructions I can see that making sense, but just a "follow my build" doesn't seem to belong there.

Just my opinion. Others will differ.

EDIT: Ok I guess there's some builds there as I'm looking at more. Not where I would have thought but ok, now I know where to look

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dan, at one point in my life I considered attending a boat building school in Maine, it remains on my bucket list. That said, I am very much interested in following your build, your build-logs have always been well documented with ample pictures!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS