Not Fine Woodworking but...

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I thought I'd share a sketch of a thing I did up for our local FIRST Robotics team. One of the other mentors donated a CNC router setup to the team. We needed a way to keep it mobile so it can get put away when we're not using it. The table is too wide to fit through a doorway when it's horizontal. We added a tool chest to store the various and sundry items. It also acts as a counterbalance for the longer side of the table. We will end up putting the controller and a laptop in the top drawer of the chest so we can keep it safe.

Off to Robots soon and I'll try to get a picture of the completed thing.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Here's a picture of the as-built version. We had to build it with the tools we have available in the Robotics shop. It turned out to be a serviceable thing and does the job just fine. The head coach insisted on 6 in. casters intead of the 4 in. I originally planned on so the top is little higher than optimal. The torsion box top should remain pretty flat, though.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I'm in the process of building a solid table, also on casters, for a 48 x 30 CNC (a Scienci Longmill MK2).
I knew it needed a good solid table like any CNC, but I wanted the ability to clamp work pieces on end so I could cut accurate dovetails and box joints without dogbone cuts as will occur when they are cut horizontally. The opportunity exists because of the design of the Longmill where the x-axis gantry can move to the full length of the Y-axis rails. My tabletop will be 76" x 48" but it will have a removable section that is 36" x 12" and the opening below it will accommodate stock about 36" long (e.g., a cabinet side or a drawer side). Along with the removable section, the table features five drawers on each side of the recess, pull-out keyboard slides above the drawers and large cubbies on each end of the unit for the electronics and storage. Here are some SketchUp drawings with the full top in place and the filler section removed.

CNC Table Full.jpg

The frame is constructed of 2 x 4 stock with half-lap joints and it will be movable on six 5 inch lockable casters. Still need to work out the work holding details on the facing in the vertical section, but hopefully you get the gist of my design. (Apologies to Dave for my SketchUp efforts -- I'm still using SU 2016)

CNC Table Vertical Mode.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I wanted to add T-tracks like you've got and that's still the plan for later but we needed to get the thing running since we're hot into build season. The CNC machine came as a kit. You supply the tubes for the rails, the cutting device, and enclosure for the controls. It was a good experience for the kids to build and learn to run. At this point we're using a DeWalt rotary saw which was also donated by the mentor who donated the CNC machine, the tool cart, the wood, and the hardware to assemble it. I was skeptical about the rotary saw but it does a good job with the materials we need to cut with it.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you. It does roll nicely. I might have designed it differently had I known about the desire to use those casters, though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS