Norm Abram in a Southern Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Today I finally got around to installing a much needed tool in the shop - TV cable. I just finished watching and recording this week's episode of "New Yankee Workshop" while getting in some shop time. I feel it will be very helpful to be in a hands on location while watching an instructional video, and it does pair up quite well with the beverage refrig.
:eek:ccasion1

Attachments

• doors, windows, misc..jpg
    doors, windows, misc..jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 218

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What no 52" HD widescreen LED set. I got a TV and cable in my shop but the set is so small that I can only stand about 2' away from it to watch it. That makes it hard to do anything else :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just remember this: There is no more important rule than to wear these: Safety Glasses.
AND.....don't look at the screen while freehanding router cuts.

Nice setup! There have been a time or two I had to walk back and forth between the TV and the shop to figure out something.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cool Dino :icon_thum
Do you plan on using the DC pipe for dust collection for the TV :mrgreen:

Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have cable into the shop, but never hooked it up for fear I would watch it instead of the router I was using.

I do like the way you did it, wall mount et al.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice setup! I need to do the same ... I got the TV and have never taken the time do run my cable line either! Maybe "next" weekend :rolf:

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Can't belive I put it off as long as I did. Shop is seperate from the house, so running the cable was somewhat a PITA. Got the wall mount from Walmart - 39.00 The dust gate is directely over the workbench and doesn't get used too much. I plan to extend it over about another foot.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I think that was the single biggest mistake I made was installing cable and a tv in my shop.

I stay out their way to much, even when I'm not wwing.:gar-La;

I think my next step will be wireless internet....A recliner....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I had a comfy chair in my shop.

Sept_05_shop_pics_007.jpg

It fell by the wayside for better machinery. Now if I need to sit and think about stuff a 5 gallon bucket serves me well. Provided it isn't full of Peach Paint and I'm not standing on the lid:eusa_doh:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I was reminded today about the HDTV thing and old televisions not working in less than a year ... and it made me think of the shop TV. I've held on to mine for 3 years without getting cable run to it, and now that I think I might actually do it (inspired by this thread), I think it won't even work soon! Better find a steal on an HDTV for the shop!:BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeremy if you have a cable feed to your TV it doesn't matter if it's an HD set or not. The only folks that are going to have any issues with their reception are the ones that only use an antenna and get their signal from the air.
But don't let me get in the way of you buying a new "tool" for the shop.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I was reminded today about the HDTV thing and old televisions not working in less than a year ... and it made me think of the shop TV. I've held on to mine for 3 years without getting cable run to it, and now that I think I might actually do it (inspired by this thread), I think it won't even work soon! Better find a steal on an HDTV for the shop!:BangHead:

Jeremy, it has nothing to do with HD, only Digital TV. Only those who do not have a digital signal will be out of luck. This whole deal has everyone so confused. YOu don't need to do a thing....unless you WANT to and need the excuse for the wifes approval...or ...something...

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I think EVERYONE will be affected in some way- even those now using (analog) cable. My cable company (Sudden Link), and likely all cable companies will also be switching to ALL DIGITAL next year just like the broadcasters, and will no longer provide analog TV over the cable! So, if you have an analog TV you will need a "digital to analog box" for cable- a different box than the over-the-air digital-to-analog box that you can use the coupon to help buy, whether you get HD or not! My cable company was unsure what type(s) of boxes they will offer (for a fee) and what their tier structure will be (i.e. digital to analog(???), digital basic, digital premium, digital HD?) If you want HD signals, they said you will need their top-of-the-line box with integral DVR.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'm sure TWC will find a way to squeeze more $$$ out of us.:wconfused:

With prices on LCD sets plummeting, check out Tiger Direct for really cheap deals on LCD sets. These take up minimal space and you can hang them on the wall. No CRT means the picture area won't be a dust magnet (you'll probably have to put a filter over the fan or air intake).

BTW, a co-worker just showed me just how many digital stations you can pull right off the air -- even from the hinterlands here in Burlington. Quite a few!

Hey, Dave, is that a bottle of Duck Rabbit I see on the table there?

:kermit: Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors