Non-oil based deck sealant????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Any recommendations for a non-oil based deck sealant. Oil-based products contain BLO or other soy based oils and they can be food for algae and mildew to grow on the deck surface. I have a 365 sq. ft. deck on the north side of my house. AFAIK it has never had anything done to it. It was pretty much green and black. After extreme pressure from my wife I cleaned it quite good and would now like to apply something that will help it stay that way.
I have found a product that fits my needs - http://www.saversystems.com/uv_resistant_clear_wood_finish.php

But I can't find a local source for it, and shipping of a 5 gal bucket would be quite expensive :eek:

Are there any other products out there similar that y'all might know about, Bonus points for local availability :icon_thum

I did see something in Lowe's by Cabot called SPF that sounds like it's water based ???? http://www.cabotstain.com/products/...roductTypeName=Clear and Translucent Coatings

Anyone have any experience with it???

TIA,
Dave:)

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I have not used Cabot but heard it was decent.

Also HD's brand I think has some that is water based. Of course 1 said it was oil based bbut yet it could be thinned and cleaned with water???

But you could always get a coupon for Lowes and use the Cabot to be safe.

From your link...
"Unique water-based technology" and "Flash Point: Not applicable (water-base)"
Also says it cleans up with warm soapy water. So there ya go.

Glennbear

Glenn
So what you are saying Dave is that a spalted deck is unacceptable? :rotflm: Levity aside, I was perusing the deck finish aisle at Home Depot recently and did note a few water based finsihes :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I avoid going to the Home Despot as much as I can :eusa_naug. Only for better :roll: sheet goods will you find me there. But I might have to check out what they have available in WB deck sealants. Do you recall any of the brands???

Glennbear

Glenn
I avoid going to the Home Despot as much as I can :eusa_naug. Only for better :roll: sheet goods will you find me there. But I might have to check out what they have available in WB deck sealants. Do you recall any of the brands???

Besides their house brand which is Behr they also have Flood products who have been around since the 1800's. Fairly good reputation :wsmile:

rywilson

New User
Ryan
I just did my deck and fence with the Sherwin Williams Waterborne
Semi-Transparent and have been very pleased.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Dave, Consumer's Reports best performer in their 3 year tests is Flood SWF-Solid. It's a latex. A Sikkens is second and McCloskey third. If you want I can look and see if I still have the magazine with the last tests in it.

Tom Swortzel

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
You might want to go to your local library and look in the June and July issues of Consumer Reports. CU has be running long term tests of deck sealants for the past ten year. The results are detailed in one of the two above issues each year.

Odd Zak

New User
Joe
Dave,

By reading what info you've posted, I say that the Cabot Stain SPF would be a better bet than the Defy UV Resistant Epoxy. The Defy says 'with annual maintenance'. We all know we don't want to be painting that stuff every year.

Also, the Cabot stuff requires application from 12 - 24 months. So the Acrylic, Cabot would be my choice based on the 'annual maintenance'!

If you want to get into the chemistry, both are Water / Glycol based. The Cabot uses Acrylic chemistry as the foundation of its coating. Acrylic groups are also used in the manufacture of latex paint and can be the chemically safer option. The Defy uses Epoxy as its coating foundation. Both are UV resistant however, the Defy uses Bis-Phenol-A. In case you guys didn't hear, BPA is the stuff that is suggested to cause harm to us humans (and other mammals). Bis-Phenol-A is under further investigation... meaning other groups are going to confirm or denounce the original announcement.

Okay, that just hurt my head. :BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors