Next Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I haven’t been on the site for about a month. Been busy at work with repairing artifacts damaged by Hurricane Florence. Then at the end of October I spent a week with a furniture conservator and woodworker in Winston Salem. It was a very well spent week learning new techniques, skills and materials that I can use at my lab at Tryon Palace, as well as some new woodworking techniques for hobby time. Now its November and we’re getting ready for Candlelight programming so that has kept me busy. I’ve also been busy with my new hobby of landscape painting.

This weekend I’m starting my 2018-2019 big project. It will be the first real project I’ve done that isn’t something for my woodworking shop or for storing tools. It will be a pleasure project that will allow me to tinker with one of my newfound obsessions.

I’ve recently started exploring the world of puzzles. It started during our evacuation from Hurricane Florence when I was watching videos on MrPuzzle’s YouTube channel. That led to purchasing puzzle boxes. I’ve also been drawn to the cabinetry of Silas Kopf both his sequential secret cabinets as well as his skills with marquetry. While I was with the conservator in Winston Salem I studied the work of both Kopf and his inspiration – the Roentgen family.

So, my next project will be a sequential secret cabinet based on an apothecary that I saw at the Luray Heritage Museum in Luray, VA earlier this year. I wasn’t able to take a photo of it, so I sketched what I saw later in my hotel room. It is from that drawing that I am making this piece. Measurements are what I have deemed based on the needs I have. The apothecary featured two locked cabinets on either side with an open area in the center and a small shelf above. The center area had books as on a bookshelf and mine will as well. There was a top, but it didn’t seem deep enough to have a well. Mine will be deep enough for a well. I’ve already decided on the sequence of the cabinet and how many secret compartments it will have and other tricks. I may make an attempt at marquetry for one component. If not, I will do a small painting instead. In the end the cabinet will hold the puzzle boxes that I have bought and some of them will be involved in the opening of the cabinet. Several of the trick/secret mechanisms I have already built onto other pieces and some will be brand new to me. So, there will be both challenge and fun in this project which I look forward to creating. In a way it is a puzzle in itself with all the plans that I have made so far as well as the execution of the process.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, good luck, or may I say good fortune on the new project. It sounds amazing, challenging, and fun.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Definitely keep us updated on this one, I wish I could do something like that. Maybe you will inspire me.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This is going to be fun to follow as it evolves. I haven't searched for the Luray apothecary but here's a Kopf piece with secret compartments, etc.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/09/27/the-secrets-within

Richo, do you have a sketch of your apothecary that you can add as an Attachment (pics aren't working yet). I'm trying to understand your description above but am having trouble understanding it so a sketch will be helpful.

Richo B

New User
Richo
This is going to be fun to follow as it evolves. I haven't searched for the Luray apothecary but here's a Kopf piece with secret compartments, etc.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/09/27/the-secrets-within

Richo, do you have a sketch of your apothecary that you can add as an Attachment (pics aren't working yet). I'm trying to understand your description above but am having trouble understanding it so a sketch will be helpful.

Very much along that line though not as fancy. I like the double drawers (which are not original to him but made hundreds of years ago) but this piece won't feature them. No room for that.

Richo B

New User
Richo
If you go on YouTube and search for Silas Kopf and then click on his channel you can see videos for his Secret Compartment Cabinet and Sequential Puzzle Cabinet. Both are what I'm using as inspiration. Mine will not be nearly as fancy but I'm one that doesn't like to waste space on any project I do. I've also studied some of the Roentgen pieces but focused on the mechanics rather than their size or style.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow! That is an ambitious project Richo; I am looking forward to progress reports. This once again points out the fact that NCWW members are some of the best woodcrafters in the world.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm excited to follow this project. Lots of pics. I love the intricacies of hidden compartments and drawers.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
1-7 nov 2017 Unload 047.JPG

1-28 jul 2017 032.JPG

I was up at the museum last year looking at rifles in the museum. I took a few photos of these massive shranks in walnut. I will look thru some old photos of my visit to the Luray Museum and see if I have other pieces.

About how big is it?

later

Jeff

New User
Jeff
If you go on YouTube and search for Silas Kopf and then click on his channel you can see videos for his Secret Compartment Cabinet and Sequential Puzzle Cabinet.

Both appear to be all in one cabinet. It's a very interesting video and Mr. Kopf has lots of built-in secret compartments. There's no key to even get into the cabinet to begin with...it's a secret place to store the key.

Where does one begin to design such a cabinet? An empty box of A" x B" x C" and then fill in the space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAEo50Z021o

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I could open the photo but didn't know the meaning of a "shrank" (aka a "shrunk"). Thanks, I found lots of examples of German furniture like that. Basically an armoire (closet) used in a bedroom or a cabinet in a kitchen (kuchenshrank).

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/584752/

https://www.richmond.com/entertainm...cle_ba3995d8-839e-5b34-9276-e75ad799f7b9.html

http://denver-furniture.blogspot.com/2010/05/large-8-pc-oak-german-shrunk-wall-unit.html

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/german-furniture

Its a heavy German cabinet. I guess you could not open the photo I posted of a shrank?

Lots of info on line about shranks. It was an outgrowth of the German housing tax system. Closets were considered rooms for tax purposes so they were and still are not popular due to cost.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Luray apothcary.jpg

Here is the sketch I did the day I went to Luray Museum. When I went there was a sign saying you couldn't take photos and since I'm a museum professional myself I chose to obey it. As such I had to remember the box and sketch it later. The dimensions of it were probably about 2 feet long by 1 foot or less tall. The books they had in the center were the smaller older type books that would only be 4-5 inches by the spine. The dimensions for my cabinet will be 24 across by 13 1/2" tall so that I can have a small well on top and space for books that are upwards of 8" tall. The outside appearance of the cabinet will resemble the apothecary but the inside will be my own invention. I'm assuming the Luray apothecary is made of walnut or some similar wood. Mine will be poplar and then stained. I'm not exact at all on reproductions. I look at something, get an idea and then go in my own direction. I'm working on the carcass this weekend but I expect this project to take many months and not be complete until sometime next spring, depending on what other aspects of life get in the way.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm working on the carcass this weekend but I expect this project to take many months and not be complete until sometime next spring, depending on what other aspects of life get in the way.

Is this kind of like what you're building? Your dimensions (24" x 13.5") and the "well" is 8.75" deep.

Attachments

• Apothecary:RichoB.skp
    29.4 KB · Views: 133

Richo B

New User
Richo
Is this kind of like what you're building? Your dimensions (24" x 13.5") and the "well" is 8.75" deep.

You're going to have to take a screenshot of the item in that file and make it an attachment for me to view it. My version of Sketchup is older and I can't open it. The well is only 2" deep. It serves one specific job and doesn't require a lot of space to do it. I guess I should point out that the "well" I'm referring to is an area of space beneath the lid. The area where the books are housed in the middle I'm calling the center section which will feature books and other surprises. It has a height of just over 8 1/2" to make room for the books I'm placing there. The whole thing is 11 3/8 wide in addition to 24 long x 13.5" high.

I'm using the construction of my Gertsner style machinist chest to aid me in how to do the top well's joinery.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm using Sketchup 17.2.2554 but here's the screenshot. My dimensions are a bit different from yours but not much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 10.22.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 10.22.26 AM.png
    101.5 KB · Views: 110

Richo B

New User
Richo
I'm using Sketchup 17.2.2554 but here's the screenshot. My dimensions are a bit different from yours but not much.

Looks like you're going in the right direction. The 24 x 13 1/2" dimensions are correct but the rest of your model is much different from mine. My secret cabinet will be much taller than the original. In constructing the carcass yesterday I can already tell that it is much larger in size, but it will hold the puzzle boxes and books that I want to store inside as well as have room for other things as well. In fact it might have room for additional tricks that I originally didn't think I had room for.

I have the Sketchup I got back in 2015 and haven't updated since. It works for my needs and I've not wanted to update it. Especially not now that they are using a browser only version. I'll have to update eventually when I replace my current laptop. Until then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS