Next Charlotte are Meet-Up October 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

LB75

George
Slight change of plans guys, Matt will be unable to join us tomorrow to conduct the veneering demo. How do you all feel about pushing the start time to noon? We'll do lunch and move on to the steam bending demo. I'll send a PM to everyone who confirmed they were coming as well just to make sure everyone sees this change.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks George for hosting and Nick for the demo! Great to put faces with names. Hopefully we didn't leave too much drool in your very nice shop!

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
The steam bending demo was great and learned a lot about the process. Was fun taking to everyone. Looking forward to future meet ups.

Took a few pics of the demo:

f930e097bcda72004c4df9e753bbbf18.jpg
087adad758c467c321bbc5b9cfc02e55.jpg
8651f43f3d87f69ffeaaa1ede6f9894e.jpg
a4b0e96a79aada229923dbca6407b256.jpg
5cc0b16ce1a22c4ffcdc032822e819a9.jpg
67bc492d37f9aef6e489069f57f98f80.jpg

LB75

George
Thanks to everyone for coming out today, it really is great to see so much interest down in this area. One thing I meant to mention today but forgot, my shop is always open to help you guys if you need a little more room for a certain project or if you need access to a tool out there that you don't have. I spend most of my free time putzing around out there so if you want to work on something the shop is available.

ajmtrader

New User
Tony
George,

Just wanted to say thanks for hosting. Nick had a great demonstration. Thanks for all the tips on your dust collection system.

Tony

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Thank you George for opening your shop and hosting this meet up. Thanks for lunch too. Thank you Nick for the steaming demo. That was quite interesting and informative. It was great too see everyone again.

NTCook

New User
Nick
I've been busy since Saturday so haven't had time to post here yet.

Thanks to everyone for coming out again and George for hosting/feeding. It appeared, at least from my end, that we had much more in depth conversations about woodworking at this meetup.

We're going to try to iron out the details for a March meetup, so keep your eyes peeled.

Regarding my demo, thanks for the kind words. I don't know if it was outwardly apparent but I was fighting back a panic attack that entire day and it reached its peak just as everyone arrived. (I don't know, it started about 4 months ago and I'm seeing doctors to try to figure it out. I can't even speak privately with my manager without suffering facial tremors and cold sweats... it's very strange.) However, it was a challenge that I enjoyed and I only wish I had written down some info and made a little packet for people to take home. I know I forgot to mention some things and didn't explain others well enough. Ahhh, next time.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Nick I think you did a wonderful job with your demo. And you handled that broken template hold down very graciously.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I agree. I didn't notice anything at all. The jig wedge failure was awesome! The kind of thing that you never see on a TV woodworking show. Pop....... Gasp...... Nick nonchalantly puts a clamp on the jig to provide the pressure that the wedges were supposed to and all was well.

:eusa_clap

Entertaining and informative. Can't beat that.

NTCook

New User
Nick
I agree. I didn't notice anything at all. The jig wedge failure was awesome! The kind of thing that you never see on a TV woodworking show. Pop....... Gasp...... Nick nonchalantly puts a clamp on the jig to provide the pressure that the wedges were supposed to and all was well.

:eusa_clap

Entertaining and informative. Can't beat that.

So one of the bends was a failure after I removed it from the form this afternoon... and surprisingly it wasn't the one that broke the the jig's hold-down. The outside of the large bend failed because the wood fibers were stretched too far. The bending strap likely wasn't forced down tight enough to prevent stretching or I just got unlucky with the lumber.

bending-basics-the-hows-and-whys-of-springback-and-springforward-1.jpg

This image might explain visually what I was attempting to explain on Saturday. Although the arrows here are reversed to indicate the forces that cause springback, the idea is the same.

The purpose of the spring steel strap is to force the neutral axis above the blank which causes all (or most) of the wood to compress instead of stretch. You can certainly bend to the same radius I was using without a strap, but you're rolling the dice. The tighter the radius, the more likely you are to want a strap and even with a strap you can get compression failures INSIDE the bend rather than stretching outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS