New wood worker from Fayetteville

JpHess

New User
Pat
Hey everyone!
I’m currently stationed here at Fort Bragg. I’ve always been very interested in getting into this but didn’t know where to start. My first attempt was a work bench that was a total mess. I tried to resuscitate it from a neighbor that was throwing it away. I ended up scrapping it and doing a full rebuild and I’m happy to say that went a lot better.
I have my new bench now and really excited to dive into this hobby head first. Looking forward to learning, bouncing ideas, and seeing other projects.
-Pat

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Well welcome aboard Pat - glad you have that workbench done. That is considered one of the fundamentals that makes the rest of WWing easier.
We love questions (and answers) as well a design issues and challenges - go ahead and ask. Pics of in process and finished projects are always welcome too.
Glad to have you.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Welcome Pat! Hope you find all the tips, tricks, and techniques you want to continue on your adventure. Keeping asking questions or search the past threads... I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Pat. Thank you for your service! You have come to the right web site.

Do you jump out of perfectly good aircraft?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey, Pat welcome to the site. You've come to the right place to learn from some of the nicest folks around.

JpHess

New User
Pat
Hey, Pat welcome to the site. You've come to the right place to learn from some of the nicest folks around.

that’s awesome I’m really excited! The response has already been a lot more than I thought it would be.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hey everyone!
I’m currently stationed here at Fort Bragg. I’ve always been very interested in getting into this but didn’t know where to start. My first attempt was a work bench that was a total mess. I tried to resuscitate it from a neighbor that was throwing it away. I ended up scrapping it and doing a full rebuild and I’m happy to say that went a lot better.
I have my new bench now and really excited to dive into this hobby head first. Looking forward to learning, bouncing ideas, and seeing other projects.
-Pat
Welcome Pat, glad to have you join. Congrats on getting your first project done - don't forget to post pictures. We love pictures.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pat,
thank you for your service - we appreciate it!
But we are doubly happy you found our friendly little spot on the web.
I am VERY curious to see some of your work (post some pictures) at least of the bench.
someone told me when I suggested this that they didn't want to post pictures because of some of the beautiful work that is posted here on NCWW. I suggested that he post pictures first because a year or five or ten years from now you WILL see your progression and we are always our own worst critics. If you can get to Hickory next weekend - the Klingspor Extravaganza Extravaganza News is an AWESOME event and you can meet some REALLY cool NCWWers at our booth there!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome Pat, there are quite a few of us veterans here, so you're not in strange territory. Does Ft. Bragg have a hobby woodworking shop? I'm sure there is one at Pope AFB that was closed during the Obama government shutdown, and last I heard, it was still closed. Interestingly NCWW has a Wounded Warrior Project. We have an enclosed trailer that is loaded with scroll saws, mini lathes, a table saw, band saw, drill press, and other support machinery, tools and supplies. As far as I know, we are unable to operate on the military bases because there is no shop or other space that can be provided Just curious, as I'd like to see the program get a little traction get going again.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Welcome. I'm not too far away in Four Oaks, near the 40/95 intersection. Still learning myself and playing in the woodshop regularly.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Pat welcome to our sawdust pile. Lots of great and knowledgeable folks here so ask away. And thankyou for you service

JpHess

New User
Pat
Welcome Pat, there are quite a few of us veterans here, so you're not in strange territory. Does Ft. Bragg have a hobby woodworking shop? I'm sure there is one at Pope AFB that was closed during the Obama government shutdown, and last I heard, it was still closed. Interestingly NCWW has a Wounded Warrior Project. We have an enclosed trailer that is loaded with scroll saws, mini lathes, a table saw, band saw, drill press, and other support machinery, tools and supplies. As far as I know, we are unable to operate on the military bases because there is no shop or other space that can be provided Just curious, as I'd like to see the program get a little traction get going again.

To answer your question about the Hobby shop. I think it’s more for arts and crafts than wood working projects(I would need to look). Now I would revisit with Fort Bragg on available space here on post. I’m sure you could find space here to set up a shop. I just wouldn’t know where you would start. Though I know this, anything is possible with enough motivation and paperwork.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Our Wounded Warrior Project stalled out after the hobby shop closure. I'm hoping things will come together again and see the project working. Hoping someone more familiar with the NCWW project will take the lead in a new discussion. I guess my interest in is because I myself am a 100% disabled Vietnam veteran.

GoodWComputers

New User
Brendan
Hey everyone!
-Pat

Hey Pat, just found your thread. I just got stationed here as well for a nine month deployment and would love to get woodshop access. What did you find out?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS