New used lathe - Rigid WL1200LS - what parts do I need to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkellner29

New User
Jessi
Hi Everyone,
I've been woodworking for a number of years but have not yet tried my hand at turning, but want to learn.
I picked up a used lathe just the other day, here are the specs

Rigid WL1200LS
Motor: 1/2 HP Induction, 120V AC
Spindle Diameter: 3/4" x 16 TPI
Bed Type: Tubular Steel
4 Speeds: 875, 1350, 2250, 3450
Heavy Duty Stand with Mounting Platform Capacities: Yes
Swing Over Tube (Bowl Diameter): 12"
Swing Over Tool Rest (Spindle): 7.75"
Between Centers: 37"
Shipping Weight: 149 lbs.

While its a larger lathe, I would like to try turning bowls to start. The issue is that it doesn't seem to have all the pieces I need and I'm not sure size, adapters etc.....
I know I will need a chuck, not sure the type, and then maybe some other adapters, gauges... but being new I just don't know where to start, that's at a beginner type budget.
I don't want to break the bank, but I want to have the proper hardware to do this.

So can you help with listing some options I can take a look at please for the lathe and also maybe beginner good brand of tools to start?

Here are some pics
Capture00.PNG

Capture01.PNG
Capture02.PNG

Thank you

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jessi,
You can start bowls with a faceplate and secure the wood using screws to the faceplate. You attach the faceplate to a waste block, which is secured to your piece you are wanting to turn. You can use hot glue to secure the two pieces together.

Purchasing the lathe is the cheap part of learning to turn.

I'm not sure which chucks will fit the 3/4x16 spindle, but expect to start at $100, possibly more if this is an odd size. You will need lathe tools (bowl gouge, parting tool), these will run you about $100 or more for each one. You will need a slow speed grinder ($200)in order to properly sharpen. With gouges, i would recommend the Wolverine sharpening jigs (another $150).

Another tool option is carbide, one vendor is EZ Wood Tools, and these will run about $135 each. Klingspores carries the Rikon carbide tool kit with a handle and 3 bars with cutters, I think $220-240 range. if you go there, they can also provide some guidance on chucks for the Ridgid lathe.

Others will chime in with much more advice on starting down the slippery slope and getting addicted to turning...I am speaking from first hand experience!

Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.

awldune

Sam
User
I am not a fan of this style of lathe, but it can get you started. If you don't have a bench grinder, you need one. Unless you opt to go exclusively with carbide tools. In a pinch you can sharpen on a belt sander.

Penn State has been OK for me for cheap turning tools:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/bowl-gouges.html

A 3/8'' and a 1/2'' bowl gouge would be OK to start with. Or even just the 3/8'' if money is tight.

Last edited:

awldune

Sam
User
I'm not sure which chucks will fit the 3/4x16 spindle, but expect to start at $100, possibly more if this is an odd size.

3/4x16 is the most common size after 1x8. It won't be an issue. I would encourage the OP not to buy a chuck that is "natively" 3/4x16. You want there to be an "insert" and for the chuck to support at least 1x8 if not up to 1 1/4 x 8.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Great point, thank you

Jessi, Many people have started turning on that style of tube lathe. It’s a functional lathe for spindle turning.

That said, which of the 4 speeds are you planning to turn your bowls at, 3,450 RPM?

Also, how large of bowls would you like to turn?

Have you used/sharpened bowl gouges and how many do you have?

Perhaps one of our resident (highly experienced) bowl turners could jump in with some timely advice.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nova has an insert for their chucks that match your spindle thread pitch. I have one but it is going to the SIL. I started with a G3 chuck.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The single most important aspect of wood turning is sharp. Sharp cuts. Dull doesn't. No difference with any wood cutting tool whether its manipulated by hand or being spun on an arbor by an electric motor. Learn to sharpen with whatever resources you have and the turning will be easy.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
3/4x16 is the most common size after 1x8. It won't be an issue. I would encourage the OP not to buy a chuck that is "natively" 3/4x16. You want there to be an "insert" and for the chuck to support at least 1x8 if not up to 1 1/4 x 8.

I have and use a couple of Teknatool Supernova2 chucks and have no complaints at all about them. Teknatool does have 3/4-16 adapter inserts for that chuck. You can turn bowls up to 12" with the standard 50mm jaws. With the PowerGrip accessory jaws you can go up to 29" bowls, but that's well beyond the capacity of the OP's lathe. There are all types of peachy keen jaws and such for that chuck and if you collect many of them you'll end up with quite an investment. But you don't have to buy everything. At least that's what my wife tells me. :rolleyes:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I would also recommend joining a local woodturning club. There are several advantages
1) the people you will meet
2) monthly demonstrators
3) tool sales, you may be able to pick up used tools
4) mentors

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Ok I am going to throw out some non conventional thoughts here. 1. you don't need a chuck. they are nice and come in handy but not a necessity. 2. you can get a cheap set (40 bucks or so) of carbon steel tools. you can make the handles yourself. In addition to a set of cheap tools you will want a decent bowl gouge. most sets don't include one. 3. sharpen with whatever you have. A belt or disk sander, bench grinder (slow speed is nice and preferred but again not a necessity) will be needed. I have one I'll give ya. come get it. What I am getting at here is you don't need to mortgage the farm to get started. Lots of info on you tube. Jamb chucks are easy to make and they work. face plates are cheap or you can make a few for pennies. I'm willing to help you get started if you like but time is limited. You can graduate to better nicer more expensive tooling as you go along and the budget allows. You will find some tools in the set get used a lot and some collect dust. upgrade the ones you use. modify or toss the ones you don't. most of all enjoy the ride.:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I started turning pens on the Craftsman version of this lathe. It is a good 'gateway lathe' for some. For others, it will be all they need. You will know when it's time to upgrade, but you can do a great deal with this machine, just heed the advice given above; sharpen, sharpen, sharpen.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
I too have the Craftsman version of this lathe.
it works, just OK. The tube "bed" doesn't seem to work as well as the other type, ya just got to mess with it until you get it right.

It's better than nothing for a start, It uses a 2MT taper for tooling. I don't have a chuck either, but don't use mine often except for tool handles, but thinking about using it to turn some pins.

Changing the speed is a pain, Loosen the motor move the belt, tighten the motor.... but if you don't mind taking your time, it's worth the effort to get started.

Keep the tools sharp, then sharpen them some more. this will give you better results, and don't feel too bad if you don't create a masterpiece first off. Patience, and Practice will make it go smoother.

M

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Yeah, I saw that. Must have been a typo. #1 Morse taper is what came on all of those tube bed lathes that I've ever seen.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
You are correct. I went back and checked where I bought a live center, and it was #1 Morse Taper. My Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS