New use for old rollerblades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
After fighting the power of centrifugal force for a while, I finally decided to create some support for my hollowform work. I have seen various designs for steady rests that incorporate some way of surrounding the work with a wheeled support. I decided to use a hybrid of the designs I saw and this is the outcome. It seems to be just what the doctor ordered so far.

Basically, it's a couple of layers of 3/4 birch ply glued together. I dadoed for the support arms which are made from plywood as well. The wheels were robbed from an old pair of rollerblades.
Thanks for looking.

steady03.JPG

View image in gallery

eyekode

New User
Salem
I wonder if there is a cheap way to get an eccentric cam that works in a similar way to your tool rest? Then repositioning would be easy as well. But maybe it doesn't matter, there is still a bunch of adjusting that has to happen if you need to move the steady rest.

Anyway I like the dado's. That HF doesn't look too shabby either!

Salem

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I had the distinct pleasure of seeing this Modern Marvel in person last night.

What a stunning job!

The word substantial comes to mind :)

Can't wait to see the new level of wafer thin you can turn!

Jim

efr

New User
Bob
One way to solve the eccentric set up problem with a steady rest is to turn a round, expendable section with grooves for the steady rest rollers. Then bore or cut the section with the shape and same offset as you want for the project. One caution: make certain that the project cannot turn in the expendable section.

Bob

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hey,you been sneakin around my shop ? :gar-La; gotta go check an see if mine's still there.Got my wheels at a thrift shop for 5 bucks,works pretty good :gar-Bi

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Cool ideas.. thanks. :icon_thum

I have at least one more update to the design I am considering. I want to replace the 1/4-20 bolts on the support arms with 1/4-20 star knobs and use fender washers to distribute the tightening force. Thoughts?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bob,
star knobs with the through centers are what I used.That way if for any reason I want to put a second layer of wheels or whatever,plus I'm using the aluminum T-track with 1/4-20 hex head bolts and fender washers to spread the load.Looks good and works like you bought it I bet.
Greg

Dragon

New User
David
Nice job on the steady rest. Nothing like the satisfaction from adapt, improvise, and overcome to solve a problem.:icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
That is awesome
One of those "its neat but what does it do" things - until you see/feel/experience first hand the reason for one!
I like the star knob and fender washer ideas - ease and spread the force.
Ken - where are the pictures of yours?
sweet looking piece btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors