New tool gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have been collecting antique planes (and other woodworking tools) for a long time and recently decided to sell off some of my collections.
One item that I was selling was a very nice Stanley No.2 smooth plane.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Had a few inquiries, but no one ready to pull the trigger. Until a few days ago. A guy on Facebook contacted me and said he wanted to buy it, just had to sell off a few unused tools to finance the purchase. Come to find out, one of the tools he was selling was a Lie-Nielsen No.62 low angle jack plane. Boom, he offered a trade with him paying for shipping both ways. I jumped on that real quick. He sent me the mailing label for the Stanley and the tracking number for the No. 62 and a couple of days later I had the 62 in hand. Another very nicely made tool from the guys in Maine and in great condition. Can't wait to give it a workout on my next end grain cutting board.
attachment.php

Nothing better than trading something you don't need for something you do. Or is that something you want? Either way ...

Attachments

• Stanley No.2 001.JPG
    Stanley No.2 001.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Stanley No.2 002.JPG
    Stanley No.2 002.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 20180503_163945.jpg
    20180503_163945.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Awesome trade! I've been on the hunt for a a low angle jack plane myself. They seem like a blast to use.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I tried it out on some maple end grain. Sliced through it like butter. :eusa_danc

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Interesting, I have a LN no.2 that is used infrequently but found my WR no.1 to be really handy. Since I’m not a collector :D I just keep the no.2 on hand for an unknown future use that maybe could happen.

Are you planning to use the no. 62 as a low angle or with a steeper pitch blade grind?

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Just curious as to on what tasks you find the #1 to be handy? Would a block plane be just as useful?

Looking for an excuse to buy a tiny bench plane!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
A block plane might be though the little no.1 surprisingly fits comfortably in my hand.

My current blocks are a Veritas DX60 with an A2 low-angle blade and a 1960s vintage Stanley no.60 with OEM blade. Because they are low angle planes, they perform differently than the no.1 with its standard pitch carbon steel blade.

I’ve never been able to determine exactly why the low angle blocks just don’t work for me. I also have a pair of the Veritas skew rabbet block planes with PM-V11 blades and I really like them. So much so, that I usually grab a skew rabbet to be my small block plane.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Interesting, I have a LN no.2 that is used infrequently but found my WR no.1 to be really handy. Since I’m not a collector :D I just keep the no.2 on hand for an unknown future use that maybe could happen.

Are you planning to use the no. 62 as a low angle or with a steeper pitch blade grind?

I still have one Stanley No.2 that I am keeping, sold the three others I had. I put a Veritas iron (PM-V11) and chip breaker on it. Also have the LN No.1. The No.1 and No.2 get used infrequently, but they do work well for small, squirrelly areas, around knots and such. I probably use them more than a No.3, usually go with a No.4 or 4-1/2 to get the wider iron.

I'll use the 62 mostly for end grain stuff. Also planning to build a shooting board to use it on. If a need arises I may pick up more irons for it over time. LN has a 90 degree iron that allows the plane to used as a scraper. Interesting concept.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
My current blocks are a Veritas DX60 with an A2 low-angle blade and a 1960s vintage Stanley no.60 with OEM blade. Because they are low angle planes, they perform differently than the no.1 with its standard pitch carbon steel blade.

I picked up a used NX-60 a while back. It is the only plane that lives permanently on the shelf under my bench. I use that thing all the time and it works absolutely great.
https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62332&highlight=Veritas

Last edited:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just curious as to on what tasks you find the #1 to be handy? Would a block plane be just as useful?

Looking for an excuse to buy a tiny bench plane!

I've got an excuse you can use. So you can take a picture like this: :gar-La;
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180504_130438.jpg
    20180504_130438.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 199

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Just to be clear, the #1 is at the bottom of the photo? :rotflm:

Actually, I don't have a #8. My planing elbow doesn't need the extra width iron (over a #7), though I have been tempted many times. Garrett Hack once told me that it was only 1/4" more, to which I replied, 'My elbow can tell!"

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just to be clear, the #1 is at the bottom of the photo? :rotflm:

Actually, I don't have a #8. My planing elbow doesn't need the extra width iron (over a #7), though I have been tempted many times. Garrett Hack once told me that it was only 1/4" more, to which I replied, 'My elbow can tell!"

Yeah, only 1/4", but also a couple of extra pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors