New Tool Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina

Chris
User
Just finished my new tool cabinet last night. I apologize for the lousy photos. I will need to try taking better pics later on. About the cabinet: This is an original design built from cherry, curly cherry, and cherry plywood. The flamed finial was my first attempt at carving. I will soon start mounting my nicer hand tools in the cabinet.
You might be asking yourself why did I make a tool cabinet look like a piece of Queen Ann furniture?? I wanted to combine two things that really love: making furniture and tools

Chris

Cabinet-7.jpg

View image in gallery

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Gorgeous!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I am a big fan of using every construction opportunity to improve skills and experiment with techniques and styles.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work, Chris!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Can you tell us what you used for the finish?

Flawless!

Wayne

Carolina

Chris
User
Steve, There was a mixture of hand tools and power tools used. The gooseneck moldings and the flamed finial required a lot of hand carving. I use my hand planes often.

Carolina

Chris
User
Wayne, I use Behlen's Solar Lux stain, 3-4 coats of amber shellac, 3-4 coats of satin finish lacquer, and a coat of paste wax.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Absolutely stunning, Chris. I'd be embarrassed to put my measly old tools in such a beautiful cabinet. I'm working on some wall hung tool cabinets to replace the old drawer boxes I've been using. I thought I was doing pretty good until I saw this. I may have to rethink that. :embaresse

Bill

bwat

New User
Bill
Absolutely A W E S O M E !!:icon_thum Can't wait to see what you've done with the rest of the inside too.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Much too beautiful for a mere tool cabinet! Excellent job.:icon_thum

I [STRIKE]envy[/STRIKE] admire anyone who can carve wood like that. I can only hope that one day I might actually have the skill to carve my first initial, 'E'...:wink_smil

...or atleast put a decent, and proper, scratch in a piece of wood :rotflm:

T

toolferone

THAT'S IT, I QUIT! No more woodworking for me. When a man's tool cabinet looks it belongs in a museum then I need a different hobby, one I might have a chance at being good at.

All jokes aside, that is a great looking cabinet!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW, WOW and WOW I can not wait to see it filled with tools. I sure hope I can see it on a shop crawl someday :icon_cheers

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
"speachless" I dont own any tools that I would put in that. If I made something that nice for the shop my wife would shoot me!:swoon:

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Incredible! Now that's what I'm talking about. 2012 is gonna be a good year for the shop tools section of the calendar:wink_smil Did you consider putting chisels on the door? I too am working on a tool cabinet and this give me some great ideas.

Love the finish! Did you use 4 hinges per door?

Carolina

Chris
User
Michael, I will be putting chisels in the doors among other things. I actually haven't spent any time yet thinking about the tool layout.
I did use 4 hinges per door. The main doors are very heavy and obviously will be much heavier when I add tools so I decided to play it safe and go with 4.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS