New (to me) lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
My father-inlaw gave me a couple items this weekend and since I've been wanting to try my hand at turning, I felt it was worth giving it a go. But I am unsure what its capabilities are or even if its worth messing with.

I know the tools need some serious help and I would like to know what ya'll would recommend to help them out (or if you would buy a new set).

I would also like to see what else I would need to begin some small turnings such as bowls and spindles ( no pens yet) You may can tell the size and thread of the chuck, if so would it be possible to buy a new chuck still ?

Here is the unit, but I have placed more pictures in my album here if it would help you to help me. http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/5/5/0/Lathe2.jpg
http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/5/5/0/Lathe5.jpg

The basic specs seem to be 12" max diameter, 5 speed (though the lowest speed seems fast to turn 12" and rough). The bed is 48". It is a Sears made in 1985 model 90188.

Lathe1.jpg

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Hi Mark. I don't see a chuck, just a face plate. I'm sure you can get a chuck - you will need chuck, probably a drill chuck, a live center, a drive center and probably a mandrel. The tools look rough and I'm not sure if they are high speed steel - which I'm told is pretty important. They are certainly worth sharpening and seeing how they cut. But I'm pretty new to turning, so hopefully some of the more experienced folks will chime in. For what it's worth, it's very easy to turn a pen - much easier than a bowl. Good luck and keep us posted.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Congrats on the acquisition. Sorry, I know less about lathes than probably anyone else on the site, but there are some excellent turners on the site that can give some guidance.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I'm afraid you father in law has cursed you. You turn that thing on, and you'll get hooked so fast your head'll spin.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hello Mark--------I used a Sears Craftsman lathe for 25 years or more. You can do a lot with them but they are not "heavy duty". If you do not have the manual with it call Sears and you can get one for a few bucks. You need to mount it on something solid. If you mount it on an independent stand be sure you have a way to add weight to reduce vibration and keep it from "walking the floor".

Chucks are available in all price ranges----usually the maker offers adaptors for the different lathes on the market. I bought a 3 jaw chuck years ago from Grizzly that came with 3 interchangeable adaptors. There is a multitude of accessories out there-------buy according to what you want to do with the lathe.:)

Jerry

J. Fred Muggs

New User
Fred Ray
Mark:
Congratulations! Now, repeat after me, "My name is Mark, I am a turnaholic." You will be one as soon as you get started.

I'm not familiar with the particular lathe you have, but it appears to be the forerunner of the "famous" Craftsman (round) monotube lathe. It shares many of the same features. It is not a particularly well built and certainly not a very heavy lathe. It is, however, more than sufficient to get you thorougly hooked and to teach you a lot of the basics. In other words, crank 'er up, make some shavings, decide if you really like making wood round, and think about which lathe to buy next.

I would not jump overboard for a chuck immediately. They are very nice, but the good ones are very pricey (more money than the lathe you have was ever worth). Most of what can be done with a chuck can be done with a faceplate and jam chucks that you make yourself out of scrap wood. If you want to turn pens (your lathe would do a fine job on them), you will need a pen mandrel as Cathy mentioned.

The lathe tools in your pic look like an old Buck brothers set. Pretty much the standard style set that everyone sold through the 70's and 80's. It's strictly a spindle turning set of tools, and not a particularly great set of those. The parting tool is fine. The skew is fine. The round nose scraper is okay, the v nose scraper you keep and regrind into a special purpose scraper when you need one. The gouges are fair to middlin' for spindles. Do not attempt to use these gouges on bowls!! If you want to do bowls, go buy yourself a decent bowl gouge. The tools are probably not tools steel. That doesn't mean they won't work. It means you have to sharpen a lot more often, and will wear them out much sooner.

Like somebody else said, mount the lathe to a good base theat can be weighted down with sand bags, concrete blocks or such if you plan to turn bowls.

The very best advice anyone can give any new turner I'm about to give you absolutely free of charge. Find and join a local turners group. From Rock Hill, you have a good club in Charlotte, There's a good one in Columbia, or, if you want to travel just a bit farther, There's the best there is (my honest opinion):-o in Asheville. There may be others even closer. These groups all have a bunch of turnaholics willing to share all they ever knew in order to help you become as addicted to round wood as they are. Often members are willing to take a newbie under wing and give lessons. You can always take lessons, for a fee, at Woodcraft in Charlotte or in Greenville. But there's no comparison to having a group of turners to go ask and live demonstrations and discussions on a monthly basis. Below is a link to The American Association of Woodturners site that lists all the local AAW clubs. Find the one you like and check 'em out.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Enjoy your new addiction, but always be safe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS