New to me Delta X5 lathe set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I was recently gifted with this full sized lathe and decided that I wanted to put it on casters before assembling it so that I would be able to move it anytime I deem necessary. I ordered total locking casters so that it would not move once the casters were locked. The casters came in today and I am so very excited to assemble this lathe and get turning large items! I told the gentleman that gifted me the lathe that I would turn him a large bowl to show my appreciation and I can't wait to do it. I want to do a segmented bowl but I have not turned a segmented bowl before. What kind of cuts should I do to prepare a good blank? I am thinking that I would like to do a bowl that is some where around 16 inches in diameter.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Tonika,
You need to speak with Charlie. Better yet, if you can swing it, he has a shop tour on Feb 2 I believe. Anyway, reach out to Charlie as he is "the Segmented Turning Master" on this site!

Oh, and congratulations on the gift! That a wonderful present! And if you haven't already fallen down that dark hole...welcome to the dark side of wood turning :)

Last edited:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Tonika, There will be a group (10-12) of members meeting at my shop on Sat, Feb 2nd.
If you are interested please let me know and I will PM you the details.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Charlie,
Thanks for the kind offer and I would love to take you up on it but I have to do my day job (police officer) that day. Maybe we can get together another day for you to teach me your ways.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Congratulations on your new lathe Tonika! It sounds like a new lathe being it's in a box and needs assembly. What brand and model is it? I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. Good luck and happy turning!

Oops, just reread your post and saw it is a Delta X5 lathe, a great acquisition!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS