New (to me) Delta Scroll Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
Stopped by Woodcraft to look at the DeWalt 788 scroll saw. It was parked next to a Delta 40-690. They appear to differ only in paint color and decals. Oh, the Delta was $50 more but included stand and light (DeWalt options at about $120).

Anyone have experience with the Delta? Are they the same? Is B&D moving scroll saws to the Delta saw line?

Inquiring minds want to know.:icon_scra:icon_scra

Ray

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ray some folks like Ford and some Chevy. Delta has been making scroll saw for years and some folks swear by them however in that price range you will find more folks who would rather die the give up their Dewalt then Delta owners willing to do the same for their saws.

If I was shopping I would wait to see what the used market will bring.

RayH

New User
Ray
And I think I understand DeWalt vs Delta :eek:maybe, but these two appear to be identical. I started with an earlier Delta some years ago and gave up. It was nothing like the DW788. This sucker seems to be the same, just a different color. I'm curious as to whether B&D is dropping the DeWalt line and moving it to the Delta saw side:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

And, thanks to your advice, I am watching the used market.:XXcompute:eusa_pray

Ray

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ray some folks like Ford and some Chevy. Delta has been making scroll saw for years and some folks swear by them however in that price range you will find more folks who would rather die the give up their Dewalt then Delta owners willing to do the same for their saws.

If I was shopping I would wait to see what the used market will bring.

What Scott said

dlrion

New User
Dan
I have a Dremel 16"... I have been holding out for a 788 for a year and a half now!

I am a huge skeptic... and the "Porter Cable" ... or cheap man's Delta has tempted me many times! but I will get a DeWalt dang it! Too many people have told good stories!

and I really like Delta!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well that is a new model to me. Yes they appear to be cousins on the outside. If it is the same saw for less, not sure how it could be :dontknow: BUT, it should be ok. Next time I run by WC I will check it out.

RayH

New User
Ray
I see that Sears has now added it to their line, along with the DeWalt. Delta at $479.99 and DeWalt at $589.99:eek:

Oh, yes. The Delta includes the stand and light, the DeWalt does not.

Ray

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ray, that is a great deal - The Delta machines that I do have - have serverd me well so far - I really can't tell you if there is any difference in the two as far as the cutting goes simply because I have not used the Delta SS - I believe that you said in your other post that you will need this sometime in the Spring - Not unless you want to get the new one for the warranty - and from what I have read the Delta has a five year and the DeWalt has a three year warranty - I would wait until after the first of the year and really check CL and other sites - alot of woodworkers might get one for Christmas and get tired of it then sell it - you might get a good deal on either brand if you want to go that route -

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Grizzly did have the best deal on the Dewalt 788 w/stand & light. Not sure if they still offer the same deal or not in the $550 range. Steve

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The new Delta Scroll saw is the very same as the Dewalt 788. The only difference between them is the color and decals. Scroll Saw Magazine ran a nice article comparing scroll saw features and picked Delta as their top choice for the class over the Dewalt based om MSRP. The Delta was being offered with floor stand and light at about the same price as just the Dewalt machine with out the extras. Apparently Dewalt and Delta must be owned by the same company now. With all the different machines Delta has produced and marketed, its important to make sure of the model number that compares to the 788. I wouldn't be afraid of the Delta--I love my Dewalt and hope it will live as long, or longer than me.:saw:
As for the great features on the Dewalt, the blade can be top or bottom fed through the work, it has 20" of clearance to the rear, has very little vibration, really requires no special maintenance, has a large table surface, the sawdust blower air nozzle is long enough to position it so the sawdust isn't blowing in your face, and the bright yellow color makes it easy to find on dismal days!:wink_smil:tool::rolf::tool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS