New stanley bailey planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I was wondering if anyone has used or looked at the new stanley bailey planes. I am looking to get my first planes and at the price point they are attractive. I don't know what to look for in a plane to see if it's worth getting. I would invite recommendations for new planes that would represent a good value. I don't have a big budget for new tools, so good workable tools are what I'm looking for, something that won't frustrate me in to hating the process and not learning.

Thanks,
Ryan

Darryl

New User
Darryl
Ryan,
Look on ebay. I bought a older ( 40's or 50's era ) Stanley # 6 a while back for $45.00 including shipping. Cleaned it up and ground the blade and it wooks like a new one for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Darryl

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I have read that getting an old one is the way to go but my concern is, not knowing what good condition is. I might find one that looks good to me but something critical could be wrong with it that a more experienced person would know right off the bat.

Thanks,
Ryan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ryan,
i live in Walnut Cove, pm me and we can get together. I have several planes and can show you the important aspects of planes and planing.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would take Mike up on that offer. He has a lot of knowledge in that area and can help you know what to look for and what to stay away from to avoid frustration.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Sorry but my advise is stay away from Ebay. I been down that trail of tears more than once. Many times I've opened the box expecting one thing and seeing something else. (Why didn't I see that crack in the pics? or the cracked tote? or the missing frog screw? Or after you date the plane you find out its a crappy 60's model). IMO most of what you see is overpriced (especially the refurbed planes) because non-ww'ers think they are all antique.

There is a guy on Lumberjocks named DonW that sells refurbed planes quite reasonbly.

For new, IMO you can't go wrong with the WoodRiver line (yes, made in China but I promise you they are good planes). I have a 4, 6 and 7 and IME they stack up quite well against a Lie Nielsen.

Its good to know how a finely tuned plane should do. If you have never used a plane before I think it is well worth it to watch some videos or take a class on hand tools.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
Mike was kind enough to have me over. He gave me alot of great info and showed me the adjustments and things to look for to evaluate the condition of a plane. He showed me sharpening and tips about what to do when starting out (some training wheels). I was blown away by his knowledge and kindness. Unbelievably he even started me out by giving me a plane.

Thank you very much Mike, I'm blown away.

Thanks,
Ryan

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Thats Mike and NCWW Ryan. Mike is always willing to share his time and help others

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If you want a new plane for a non-premium price, IMO you can't go wrong with Woodriver. I have a 4, 6 and 7 and I am very happy with the planes (Yes they are made in China but they measure up quite well against even Lie Nielsen in my experience).

I urge you to avoid Ebay unless you want to get in to the whole "rustoration" thing. I think the refurbed planes on Ebay are overpriced.

Check out http://timestestedtools.com He has restored and tested planes for reasonable prices.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ryan got to see the tip of the iceburg Saturday and went home with a sharp, tuned but still slightly rusty prewar Stanley plane that cost me less than $20 and cost him his time to come and learn how to take care of it.

I hate to talk about all the time and planes I have given away but how else are we going to help the next generation continue in this craft?
Pay it forward has been one of the bedrock foundational ideals of this community and I encourage all of you to take every opportunity to help a friend or neighbor discover the joy of using, collecting, and study of hand tools.

As for E-bay and other online outlets for old tools, I have bought dozens of tools including old Stanley planes through there, some great deals and only one was not what I expected. I didn't return it although I could have, sometimes you just need to accept a bad apple with all the good. Didn't hurt me one bit, but then I don't pay big bucks for used tools. On the other hand I see no reason to pay more for a hand plane than I paid for my tablesaw either. There are still plenty of good user tools out there for a small investment. With plenty of paitience, and a little work you can have good working tools without breaking the bank.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I know I greatly appreciated your time Mike at the Hardwood Store outing a while back and the effort you took showing me the proper way to get a chisel and plane sharp. I have been following your tips and advise ever since with great success. I even bought an old double sided plane at the flea market that had one side rusted out just to see how well I could bring it back to life if it was even possible. With the knowledge you gave me I got that plane to the point it is my go to plane for doing the little odds and ends of knocking down an edge or just getting the edge smooth again. Thanks again for all your help.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS