New Shop

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I finally got the shop I always wanted and then some. 48x32 with 12 foot ceiling to the lowest truss member all on continuos pour concrete slab pole barn. Aluminum roof and steel walls. I ordered 100amp main breaker to replace the fuse box. It's a total mess from the move. Including all tools and a trailer stacked high with hardwood lumber But I plan on getting it into shape this winter. Forgot to mention... There are 16 x 12 sliding doors on each end. Which was real nice to be able to drive right in and drop a trailer stacked with lumber :)
IMG_20200819_124820011.jpg

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Any interior pictures? The size is fantastic.
Couple quick snaps of the inside. Like I said a complete mess...
North end on the right hand side is a tack 8x16 room that's coming out of there.
IMG_20200819_132516786.jpg

Southside, can't even see my table saw
IMG_20200819_132551264.jpg

Then around back on the east side is the start of 4) 12 x 16 stalls. I think I'm just going to put a lid on them and use 1 or 2 to stack sawmill limber to air dry. Maybe close in the others for sheep that I plan on getting next spring. I have chickens and turkeys in one currently. Don't be digging on my 12' farmers ladder now :)

IMG_20200819_132719681.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That sounds great Jeff. And how many times did you have to move to find it. ;)

A cuple of times :(... But this is the absolutely last move. As a matter of fact. I told one of my son's. When I die just dig a hole somewhere on the 20 acres and pitch me in it.

But there is a second 28 x 40 shop on continuos pour cement slab also. My wife named it "the man cave" It was in the process of being converted into an apartment and already has centeral heat and air. But now it is my office and brewery. The remaing two thirds will be a large single room open space for family holiday gatherings, canning and whatnots...

Last edited:

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
A cuple of times :(... But this is the absolutely last move. As a matter of fact. I told one of my son's. When I die just dig a hole somewhere on the 20 acres and pitch me in it.

But there is a second 28 x 40 shop on continuos pour cement slab also. My wife named it "the man cave" It was in the process of being converted into an apartment and already has centeral heat and air. But now it is my office and brewery. The remaing two thirds will be a large single room open space for family holiday gatherings, canning and whatnots...
Giant shop, brewery, and flex space. You're living right.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice building, Jeff. But you may want to think about that 100 amp service. That can fill up pretty quickly. Go to a 200 amp if you can. You'll not regret it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice building, Jeff. But you may want to think about that 100 amp service. That can fill up pretty quickly. Go to a 200 amp if you can. You'll not regret it.

Well that's another thing all together... So there are really three shops. One is a one car garage. There was a overhead wire run to the one car garage to the house with overhead service from the pole to the house. From there there is 3/0 3 wire copper mine cable run in old thick wall metal pipe to both "the man cave" and shop. When we bought the place, the previous owner had already trenches in 4/0 aluminum wire in 2" PVC from "the man cave" to the outside of the house.

I hired a local electrician, perhaps one of the nicest guys I ever met. Long story short he is a jail house minister. His company Moto is "We bring good things to light" He and his grandson trenched from the house to the pole 4/0 aluminum 3 wire in 2" PVC 110' to the pole. Added a new meter main with 12 slot customer side disconnect, mast and bonnet
IMG_20200804_095606.jpg

Then at the house he added a 4/0 splitter in a new main with 12 slot and cut off.
IMG_20200806_201837.jpg

Right side runs 110' to the meter on the pole. Left side runs to "the man cave" I have 200 amp in the house, 200 amp in "the man cave". I suppose with 3/0 3 wire copper mine cable I could also run 200 amp to the one car garage with main lug then also 200 amp to the shop. But honestly... The 3/0 copper mine cable is old... Burried in the late 50's. They have it on 100 amp now and I don't want to push my luck... I suppose if I ever get hard up for cash I could pull out all the copper mine cable for scrap and replace it with cheap ass 4/0 aluminum and be like everyone else. There has to be a good 150' of it buried in thick steel pipe.

Here'sthe new 200 amp main I put in "the man cave" that's running just the centeral heat and air. I'll be moving everything out of the fuse box and using in 3/0 mine cable to power the one car garage and the to the shop.

The great thing is I'm now up to code and everything will be underground when I'm done.
IMG_20200807_110347344_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200819_154557019.jpg

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sorry for the duplicate pic I can't figure out how to delete them.

Here's a better prospective.
IMG_20200819_155932360_HDR.jpg

"The man cave" & shop in the background.
IMG_20200819_155957370_HDR.jpg

The old 100amp overhead wire running from the house to the one car garage that's coming down soon as soon as my mains arrive and I can get everything moved out of the old fuse boxes and into the breaker boxes. Then all outbuilding wiring will be underground
IMG_20200819_160018352_HDR.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
You know the more space you have the more stuff you will eventually gather to fill it all. It is called the Gottohaveit Theorem.
CONGRATS!!!!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Are you still near Creal Springs? Is Creal Springs your new mailing address?

You have an even nicer place now with 20 acres. Congrats.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Are you still near Creal Springs? Is Creal Springs your new mailing address?

You have an even nicer place now with 20 acres. Congrats.

We moved 3 1/2 miles away, no longer in Creal Springs. Yes 20 acres now, maybe about 3 acres in mow, about a 2 acre pond the rest in pastures. It's not all nice flat land, we do have a low area that the pond overflows into. I've been told the pond has channel and flathead catfish as well as large mouth bass. The bass are crazy and bite at line on top of the water. You can tell it ain't been fished much. I have yet to try fishing of cats, I Bought some blood bait a few days ago that I haven't had time to try yet. But the latest bass I've caught was a little over 2 lbs.

The only open spot to shore fish. About 1/2 the pond is pictured. I was told by the man who grew up here that it was stocked in the mid 50's
IMG_20200801_161737411_HDR.jpg

Large mouth bass caught on floating crawfish lure
IMG_20200806_184935351.jpg
IMG_20200806_185000164.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Are bass good fish to eat? Fried catfish is good. Any bluegill, bream, or crappy?

You need a small aluminum boat for mobility on the pond rather than fishing from shore.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Are bass good fish to eat? Fried catfish is good. Any bluegill, bream, or crappy?

You need a small aluminum boat for mobility on the pond rather than fishing from shore.

I've eaten bass before, so I would say yes. Only the three types of fish are in the pond but I haven't verified cats yet. I most definitely do not want bluegills in there. Bluegills will take over a small pond like this in just a few years. I might put in some perch fingerlings next spring but if there are flatheads in the pond I'm pretty sure I would just be feeding them.

There was a 4 seat paddle boat in there when we bought the place. It's since been pulled out and needs a little rudder work. I just haven't got around to fixing it yet. It's pretty low on the priority list.

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Where's the mater patch going?

Well... I think I'm going to do something like this but on a little larger scale with two 50 x 100 ft gardens and alternate each year. I'm going to change it up a bit and have the chicken and turkeys house outside the fenced in gardens.

The deer are thick out here, so I will most definitely need an electric fence around the gardens. I plan on getting on the shop roof and shooting a couple this season. The bad thing is... this is my first experience dealing with foxes. There are also a lot of red and gray fox about the property :( Fox pelts are way down in price, which is probably the reason we have so many fox around here. My outdoor hunting dog does a OK job running them off, but I still don't like having to deal with them.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors