New shop-suggestions for wall material

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Thanks so much for the tips everyone. Lots to think about. I think I have already ditched the electrical in conduit idea. I just assumed it would be easier, but after all the posts here and actually thinking about it, I realize that's definitely not the case.

The slat wall is definitely something to think about, it looks great! But cost is a big determiner at this point.

I already have a Mini Split ready to go in. That was at the top of my list of must haves!

I absolutely agree that it doesn't have to be pretty, that's not my first concern. Keeping the sound in is important, so I need the insulation for more than just cooling and heating. I live in a neighborhood and while everyone has an acre, I still don't want to be the noisy neighbor. It has worked great so far in my insulated, attached garage, so I think insulation in the new building will be fine.

So, if I do the electrical in the walls, I need to do it before the insulation is installed?

Thanks again everyboday!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I absolutely agree that it doesn't have to be pretty, that's not my first concern. Keeping the sound in is important, so I need the insulation for more than just cooling and heating. I live in a neighborhood and while everyone has an acre, I still don't want to be the noisy neighbor. It has worked great so far in my insulated, attached garage, so I think insulation in the new building will be fine.

So, if I do the electrical in the walls, I need to do it before the insulation is installed?
Wire first, insulation second. And there is nothing wrong with making the shop look "pretty". Rough, unpainted boards attract saw dust and make the shop feel dark. Painted smooth boards reflect light and can be easily vacuumed/ washed down. Spending a few extra dollars might be worth it, because if you don't do it now, you'll never do it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If running conduit (actually EMT,) use 3/4", not 1/2". As for bends, they are a little tricky, but you can bend a piece, then cut it to length. Exposed conduit allows to reconfigure wiring as needed in the future.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
@DavidK My brother had a similar configured garage. We took out those 4x posts and moved them out to the perimeter walls and ran a I-beam W 6x6.20 - 20 lb a foot. Got it for free. That would carry all of that roof line and also have a benefit of opening up the area. if you can live with 8" honch a 8 tall x 4wide = 13 lb a ft. Just a thought. You would need to cut the concrete to install a footing. But an open space is worthwhile

I went with pre-finished slatwall with surface mounted power conduit. I am still working on the shop so I am not sure if I would do anything different, but I like it so far
View attachment 194815

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My walls are pegboard painted bright yellow With insulation. My ceiling is unfinished floor joist and insulation. My shop is in my basement. To hang stuff I run a board across the wall catching a stud or two. Studs are easy to find in pegboard. I use an icepick. All my electrical is run in the ceiling conduit to machine height. All runs are home runs. 20 amp with 15 amp sanding area & HVLP. All lighting is 15 amp. and split to both sides of the shop.

Pop

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Follow up: I didn't buy that couple of 100 ft. of pegboard. A motorcycle dealership moved and gave me their wall covering. It was primed white. I figured I was a luckey duck.

Pop :)

DavidK

New User
David
@DavidK My brother had a similar configured garage. We took out those 4x posts and moved them out to the perimeter walls and ran a I-beam W 6x6.20 - 20 lb a foot. Got it for free. That would carry all of that roof line and also have a benefit of opening up the area. if you can live with 8" honch a 8 tall x 4wide = 13 lb a ft. Just a thought. You would need to cut the concrete to install a footing. But an open space is worthwhile

@Oka I link the suggestion, but I am tired of working on the shop and I am happy I can now work on things in an air conditioned shop.

The posts in my shop are 8x8's and I think I will live with them since replacing them would probably not be cheap or easy. They support the middle of the roof span. The roof has a single slope from about 8 feet to about 14 feet and the roof joists are done in two sections with these posts supporting the joint area.

@David Justice Unfortunately, slatwall is not a very economical solution.

I got my mini-split working a couple weeks ago. What luxury! I love it! I keep telling my family how much I like having an air conditioned shop. I think they are tired of hearing about it ;)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
@DavidK ...one day, it really is only a 2 day exercise. BTW, I scored 3 split systems from my work we were taking out they were only 2 years old. 1 is a 3 Ton the others were 1.5 ton ........ just gloating :p I'll be moving in 4 weeks so I am planning on installing them in my new home. 1 for the new shop and the others for the home.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I got my mini-split working a couple weeks ago. What luxury! I love it! I keep telling my family how much I like having an air conditioned shop. I think they are tired of hearing about it ;)

I can hear my dad yelling now, shut the door I'm not paying to cool the entire neighborhood :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS