New Shop Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow! That second story is high!

I can see a board sticking out at the top for a hoist of an ole barn... for hay, etc.
... but yours could be used for wood, equipment, etc.

How you going to get stuff up there anyways? Elevator? :)

An elevator would be nice. Probably out of the budget though. :gar-Bi

Stairs are going in on the back, outside the building so I don't lose any floor space in the shop.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Man, that's looking good, Mark. It'll be interesting to look back at these pics in a few years, after you've loaded it up w/ tools and "stuff". You'll wonder, "what happened to that big empty space I started w/." I sat down in my shop today to take a break and was looking around, wondering, how, and when, did I move all that stuff in here. :gar-La; Sure hope I never have to move it out.

Keep the pics coming! :icon_thum

Bill

Absolutely NOT looking forward to moving everything from my garage into the new shop. I AM looking forward to the extra space. Going from ~529 square feet that is shared with a lot of storage needs to a (almost) dedicated space of ~574 square feet. Plus I am gaining a whole lot of wall space for cabinets, etc.

My basement shop in New Hampshire was ~350 square feet, but it seemed like I had more room there than I do now in the 2 car garage. I guess the reason for that is that the space in the basement shop was just used for the shop. Plus all my lumber storage was in the other side of the basement or outside, in the yard, under cover. For now, all my lumber will stay in the garage, since I already built the racks. That alone will free up 16 feet of wall space in the new shop.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
It's coming along nicely Mark! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc You'll be in there making sawdust before you know it. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hard for me to comprehend how fast your shop is coming into fruition!:elvis:

Those boys have obviously done a little of this type of work before!

Sure is gonna be a very nice space when complete. Betcha you are chomping at the bit to get moved in and start arranging, building new shop cabinets, benches, work surfaces, DC and the many more custom accessories you will no doubt come up with.:wsmile:

Thanks for sharing all of the great pictures along the way.

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Progress pics from the work done yesterday and today.

Most of the house wrap is on, about ready for the siding. The back stairs are in, with stairs to the deck and to the yard. Another set of steps from the deck to the yard are on the other end of the deck. We had the guys add another deck section to fill in the corner by the tree. The HVAC unit is framed into the wall upstairs by the doorway.

Roofing and siding next week.

Garage-Shop_070.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just get's better and better every day. :eusa_danc You probably said in an earlier post, but tell us again what your plans are for the upstairs? You've got a lot of square feet up there, and AC to boot.

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just get's better and better every day. :eusa_danc You probably said in an earlier post, but tell us again what your plans are for the upstairs? You've got a lot of square feet up there, and AC to boot.

Bill

The upstairs is going to give us ~350 square feet. That's a little more than we thought we were going to have. The role of the second floor keeps evolving. LOML wants to use some of it for a craft room. She has also thought about moving her office out there. I think that idea has gone away since we just purchased a nice cherry drop front desk for the living room. As long as I get some of the space up there for storage, she can do what she wants with the rest. :gar-Bi

Since we have so much space between the knee wall and the roofing, I do plan to build in some drawers and maybe some shelving units, I really hate to waste all that space.

Believe it or not, the roofers are out there as I type this (8:15 P.M.). I guess they prefer working when it gets a little cooler.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The upstairs is going to give us ~350 square feet. That's a little more than we thought we were going to have. The role of the second floor keeps evolving. LOML wants to use some of it for a craft room. She has also thought about moving her office out there. I think that idea has gone away since we just purchased a nice cherry drop front desk for the living room. As long as I get some of the space up there for storage, she can do what she wants with the rest. :gar-Bi

Since we have so much space between the knee wall and the roofing, I do plan to build in some drawers and maybe some shelving units, I really hate to waste all that space.

Believe it or not, the roofers are out there as I type this (8:15 P.M.). I guess they prefer working when it gets a little cooler.

Uh Oh! You said the dreaded words, "LOML wants . . . . ." The upstairs has slipped from your grasp, never to be in your control again. :rotflm: She will leave you "some of the space", but only so she can hold you in her eternal debt. :gar-La; I'm teasing, of course, but I understand exactly what you're facing. My shop is 100 yards from the house, w/ pull down stairs to the attic, and no AC, but I'm constantly on guard against "sneak attacks" to put household stuff up there. It's a never ending battle against the forces of evil. :new_blowi

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You know, the upstairs was always 'out of my grasp'. It was actually her idea to go with a 1.5 story building. She can have the whole space, if she wants it.

I'm sure you noticed that the stairs to the second floor are outside the building. What you didn't know is that all doors to the shop will have deadbolts. :rotflm:

Plus, I am retaining rights to any needed storage in the attached garage, my current and future-former shop.

I think she will lose interest in that upstairs space after a fairly short amount of time and then I will be able to reclaim it. I can stand to lose a few battles, but the final victory will be mine (maybe).

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Mark,

What great progress in only 2+ weeks. The attic trusses are great. The deck turned out really nice too... the addition at the tree is a nice finishing touch. Do you have your electrical plan worked out yet?

Regards,

Bob

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark,

What great progress in only 2+ weeks. The attic trusses are great. The deck turned out really nice too... the addition at the tree is a nice finishing touch. Do you have your electrical plan worked out yet?

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Haven't worked out all the details for the electric yet. The electrician is coming by sometime next week to install the meter base and breaker box. I'm going to get an estimate from him to see how much we will have him do and how much I will do myself. We're getting a little anxious to get the job done, so I may have most of the electric done instead of taking the time to do it myself. Depends on how much it will cost.

We should also be getting an estimate for insulation early this coming week.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Mark,

Really coming along nicely!

I like the stairs... drop off at the deck... on to the ground... cool.

I'm glad you saw all that storage on the 2nd floor out to the sides... I see long-long drawers on the bottom with shorter drawers going up (following the 'slant') then, going to shelves... Tons of storage!
You cannot have too much storage!

Having your wife using the upper floor will be good for her... climbing up & down those stairs will be good exercise for her... Very good!

... and look at all that Patio equipment ALREADY in use! Wonderful!

Thank you for the update!

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Great progress, its going to be a wonderful shop, and an inspiration for people like me that hope to do the same in the future. God bless.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Windows & doors are in. All except for the upstairs door. That will be installed after the drywall for the second floor gets delivered. Didn't want to take a chance on the door jambs getting damaged.

Got a coat of stain on most of the deck. Looks like it may need a second coat.:wsad: Don't like the Behr stain we got from HD. Should have gone with a 'premium' brand. Oh, well, next time I'll know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS