New Shop Dust Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
Hey everyone. Life got in the way and it has kept me away from woodworking and this site for several years now. Long story short, I went through a divorce and have had my tools in storage for about 3 years now. I recently got remarried and am building a dedicated shop so that I can start making dust again. Which brings me to my question. I want to put in a good system from day one for collecting dust and shavings. It is a 24'x24' shop and will have the typical tools (table and band saws, jointer/planer, drum sander) and some unique tools from a DC standpoint like a lathe and CNC router.

I have read all of the info and reviews I could find and have been close to pulling the trigger several times on several systems only to second guess myself. So I decided to get some trusted feedback from NCWW. While tempting, and I'm sure capable, I have eliminated the Grizzly and PSI cyclones. I am waffling between the 3hp super gorilla from Oneida and the CV1800 from Clearvue. I think I want the Clearvue but wanted to hear more about how well it holds up over time. Some of you have had one for several years and I'd like to hear how well they are holding up. Also, if anyone knows of any special deals one either one I'd love to know about it!

Tim

timf67

New User
Tim
I'm sure the Grizzly and PSI units would do a fine job, and they have many satisfied customers. I just prefer American made when it is within my budget. I also would rather have a Baldor or Leeson motor than play roulette with an import. Again, just personal preference.

timf67

New User
Tim
So does no response from Clearvue owners mean I should be worried about long term durability?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
So does no response from Clearvue owners mean I should be worried about long term durability?

I would not make that assumption. I don't have a Clearvue, but I have read many good things about them, and very little bad things about them.

I'm pretty sure TracyP has had one for quite a while and should have good information for you. If he doesn't see this thread in a couple of days, you may want to PM him to get his input.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hi Tim. Sorry to hear about the rough time you've been through, but I'm glad that you're doing better now. Sorry, not much DC advice. Just wanted to say hello and it's good to hear from you. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Tim,

I have had a ClearVue CV1800 since October 2007 and love it. It is an excellent dust collector and performs very well. I agree with TDeal that you should check out the video about the installation of a CV1800 in Mark Spagnoulo's shop (The Wood Whisperer). There is also a picture of his installation on page 35 of his new book "Hybrid Woodworking" (Popular Woodworking Books) that shows both the ClearVue Electrical Box and my Bin Level Sensor (available on the CV website) that detects a full dust bin. If you need additional information from other users, be sure to check out the ClearVue Cyclones Forum.

timf67

New User
Tim
Well, I placed my order for the CV1800 today! I'll be sure to post pics as I do the install. Thanks everyone.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We will watch this space for updates!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Tim,

As you probably know, a cyclone is a noisy device, mostly because of the blower impeller designed for moving particulate-laden air. I have mine installed below my shop in a 9' high dry crawl space on a dedicated slab with a surrounding frame that isolated it from the foundation walls and overhead joists to reduce any sound transfer. I built a frame of 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 PT lumber to support it and ran a dedicated #10/2 NM cable from a 30 Amp breaker to a disconnect and separate contactor junction box adjacent to it. (Please note, this is an early version of this drawing using a CV1800 drawing from the SketchUp 3D Warehouse where the blower exhaust was drawn backward. Somewhere I have a more up-to-date version.) All of my primary ductwork (6" D-2729 Sewer and Drain PVC) is below my shop floor and I have the choice of returning air to the shop (Wynn filters) or to the outdoors without filters.

My_ClearVue_Left.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS