New Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Today I got up early and finished sanding and staining my dvd shelf. Leigh has been complaining that we cant fit a dvd player ontop of the dresser, since the tv is almost as wide as the dresser. I am going to Home Depot tomorrow. A planer would have made this project so much easier....(no not really), simpler....(not really), I really just want one. I read a thread comparing the rigid 13 to the delta 13. I seen a delta 12 1/2. Would this be ok, or no? Which should I buy. I want the dewalt 13, but cant really afford the price tag. Here are some pics of the shelf.
dvdshelffront.jpg

dvdshelfside2.jpg

DavidF

New User
David
fivebyfive - your getting a bit productive here; you'll be having the rest of the wives nagging:lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
There is nothing wrong with the Delta 12½" planer. I have it and have been very happy with it.
Nice shelf, you are really excelling with the creative cut-outs and bracket decorations.

Dave:)

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I would rather have quality rather than quantity. But God is making me better and better with everything I make. I have to start simple, and I cant wait to see how far God takes my talent.

J

jeff...

DaveF - shhhh don't say that too loud. PLEASE

Good looking shelf there :icon_thum

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Michael,

the shelves and cutouts are getting really nice. What are you putting on the shelves for a finish?

And tell Leigh that the shelves really need you to have a planner;-) It's just one tool, man... just one won't cause Wood Guy Disease... really

Ray

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I have a can of minwax English Chestnut, and a can of Ipswich Pine. I mixed the two. Thats it. I have thought about using poly, but alittle timid. Any advice to how I can finish differntly

dozer

Mike
Michael nice shelf. The stain looks good as for a simple finish try some wipe on polly it is a good finish for just starting out and very easy to apply.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Michael,

I agree with Dozer. A wipe on poly is easy to apply and looks great. Since you're using a Minwax stain, then use their wipe on poly too. It comes in pint cans. You can get it with gloss or satin finish. I buy boxes of rags from Home Despot and do loads of staining and finishing with them. Wait several days (at least) for the stain to dry before you apply any of the poly. Several thin coats will look much better than a thick one. Use #0000 steel wool or 320 grit sand paper for a very light rubdown between coats. That will knock down any bumps, dust, etc. and give the poly enough tooth for the next coat to adhere.

(and always try a new finish or technique on a piece of scrap first)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS