New old guy

Tommy Hill

New User
Tom
I have enjoyed this site for years, but hadn't joined. I don't do tech very well. I have been building cabinets since 1975. Also a licensed home builder. Had to retire 10+ years ago due to health issues.
Although I am pretty much low tech, I was pretty good at building boxes. Big boxes (houses) little boxes (cabinets) What I was never good at were curves and angles. I also type real slow. I am really impressed with the things you guys build. Even though I still have my shop and equipment, I don't think I could ever build a decent chair, much less some of the other pieces.
Recuperating from minor surgery, so I thought I would keep busy with this. Did I mention that I type real slow.
Have a good day and stay safe. Tom

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Tommy,
I am also a very slow typist and like to make small boxes. But I love curves and angles.

if I can help in any way please let me know.

and welcome to the group.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Tommy. You have indeed come to the right web site.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome aBOARD. You can definitely build a chair, just start off square and then sand or grind some curves on a few edges. A chair is a chair is a chair:D

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Welcome. I have only built a dozen chairs so far. 8 were from plans in Woodsmith that have nothing but right angle joints. I think the other 4 were also right angles but I don't remember my source of those plans. It was probably Woodsmith too. I like their plans. I have a little memory stick with all the back issues.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
building a chair is a little like hiking the Appalachian trail, one step at a time. Both can be labor intensive but if you want to do it the journey isn't so bad. They both start with the first step and the feeling of accomplishment at the end makes it worth it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome Tommy, this is a fun place. The only down side is we are all too far apart

Tommy Hill

New User
Tom
Thanks for the welcome. Still learning to text, or whatever we're doing here. To Jim, my memory sticks and I have back issues also. Good to know I'm not the only one. Just kidding. I really am a dinosaur. I had a flip phone until it finally quit last year. No text, no mail, no camera. Now I have a smart phone that I don't know how to use. My sons say I have at least I have joined the 20th century. I am trying, but you know what they say.

Don't try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time, and it annoys the pig.

Tommy Hill

New User
Tom
Been a long hot week already, and it’s just Wednesday. Car thermometer was reading 100 when I left for the post office. Settled down to a balmy 94 after the ride. I have 5 rides, 3 are 20+ years old. 1 is’07 one nearly new. The nearly new one is the only one that has working a/c. Guess which one I drove? Like Jerry Reed said, “when you’re hot you’re hot!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS