New Off Topic Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I noticed that this Forum has been re-introduced recently. I was logged in and looking at the "Grizzly" post dated July 20. However, I soon realized that I couldn't post a reply. The "posting rules" box said the following: "You may NOT post new threads, replies, or attachments. You may edit your
posts.".

I don't get that message at the other forums. What's up with Off Topic in my case? :dontknow:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff, Staff is still discussing the fate of OT. In your case, you probably looked at an archived post through a search and that is still available for viewing. OT has been closed to posting for all members except for the purposes described in your post since July 22. Formal announcements about it will be forthcoming as the issue progresses.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The off topic forum was temporarily closed on July 22nd and remains that way at this point.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies. I understand your position so we'll just have to be patient until you all resolve the issue for the benefit of all members and the goals of this site. :eek:ccasion1

However, I'm curious about this issue and what kind of offensive postings prompted such a drastic measure. Could you share a few of the offensive and unedited postings (so not out of context like Ms. Sherrod) without member affiliate names? I'm guessing that they're a small percentage of the membership, but they must have been really offensive even for that small percentage.

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 Firefox/3.5.11

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
PM sent

TracyP

Tracy
The off topic was not closed due to any offensive posts. It WAS closed in preparation of the policies being examined, and possibly rewritten or tweaked. It WAS closed to allow the staff an opportunity to participate in these discussions on policy. We would not share an offensive post after it is deleted. Once a post is deemed necessary to remove it stays that way. Hope that clears things up a little.

Thanks

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Since it was not closed due to offensive posts, what would be the harm it it was reopened during this review. The action taken seems to be pre-emptive in nature which was what last year's board of directors was trying to move away from. It really does not appear to make sense closing it unless there was inappropriate behavior.

The off topic was not closed due to any offensive posts. It WAS closed in preparation of the policies being examined, and possibly rewritten or tweaked. It WAS closed to allow the staff an opportunity to participate in these discussions on policy. We would not share an offensive post after it is deleted. Once a post is deemed necessary to remove it stays that way. Hope that clears things up a little.

Thanks

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; AskTB5.6)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Since it was not closed due to offensive posts, what would be the harm it it was reopened during this review. The action taken seems to be pre-emptive in nature which was what last year's board of directors was trying to move away from. It really does not appear to make sense closing it unless there was inappropriate behavior.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.5; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; AskTB5.6)

agreed! all woodworking all the time makes Jack a dull boy. [sorry Jack:gar-Bi] Yes there are other forums we can go to for off topic stuff but our friends are here and I for one would prefer talking to friends about this type stuff rather than a bunch of strangers from all around the world. A well rounded local forum should include such other discussions. my $.02:cool:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
agreed! all woodworking all the time makes Jack a dull boy. [sorry Jack:gar-Bi] Yes there are other forums we can go to for off topic stuff but our friends are here and I for one would prefer talking to friends about this type stuff rather than a bunch of strangers from all around the world. A well rounded local forum should include such other discussions. my $.02:cool:

Wow Fred - that was a brilliant post, I could not have said it any better my self. Every dog has his day hu? Not to mention I can poke fun at you and get away with it - why? because we are friends and that's what friends do. In other words are friends serious all the time? NO

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Wow Fred - that was a brilliant post, I could not have said it any better my self. Every dog has his day hu? Not to mention I can poke fun at you and get away with it - why? because we are friends and that's what friends do. In other words are friends serious all the time? NO

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8

thanks Jeff.:gar-Bi if our friendship were to end over a difference of opinion then it wasn't much of a friendship to begin with.

TracyP

Tracy
Guys and Girls, thank you for your interest in the off topic forum. The Staff and BOD are actively pursuing the best remedy for the off topic forum. I will go on record by saying that this may not be a swift process. A lot of things need to be resolved before the off topic forum could be reopened. We ask for patience and an understanding that the Staff and BOD are here for the members and are working toward the correct resolution. Please refrain from posting off topic things in other forums until we get this resolved.

Thank You from the Staff and BOD of NCWW.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS