New Nova DVR XP getting Fault Low Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
Without starting a flame I would like to ask one question.
Do others have the Fault LowVoltage warning on very light catches? Mine is only 4 days old and has the latest version board according to Tim 6.06xs14 which is not suppose to have these errors anymore.
I can't turn a bowl without restarting the lathe every few minutes. I had a old Shopsmith for years and it had it issues but allowed me to turn a lot of small and large bowls. I have spoken to the Woodcraft techs and Tim and even a tech from Teknatool with no real help.
I have measured the input voltage while turning and it only drops to 119.5 from 220. Tim mentioned this message is not referring to the input voltage anyways. I also tried a number of 20amp outlets just to be sure. The tech folks from teknatool gave me the password to check the lowvoltage setting in the hidden menus but it is correct at 100.

I ready to jump to another lathe but all I hear are great things about the Nova DVR XP.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am sure you paid good money for this lathe (not sure how much, not a turner) so go to Woodcraft and tell them where to pick it up at!! I am sure you will get some help with it. We all tend to forget that when we purchase something new we shouldn't have to accept a repair in the first week. Just tell them you want a new one!!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Without starting a flame I would like to ask one question.
Do others have the Fault LowVoltage warning on very light catches? Mine is only 4 days old and has the latest version board according to Tim 6.06xs14 which is not suppose to have these errors anymore.
I can't turn a bowl without restarting the lathe every few minutes. I had a old Shopsmith for years and it had it issues but allowed me to turn a lot of small and large bowls. I have spoken to the Woodcraft techs and Tim and even a tech from Teknatool with no real help.
I have measured the input voltage while turning and it only drops to 119.5 from 220. Tim mentioned this message is not referring to the input voltage anyways. I also tried a number of 20amp outlets just to be sure. The tech folks from teknatool gave me the password to check the lowvoltage setting in the hidden menus but it is correct at 100.

I ready to jump to another lathe but all I hear are great things about the Nova DVR XP.
Has Tim ot teknatool offered to send you a replacement control board. If not ask them for one. Or Put into Woodcraft's hands and see what they will do. You should be able to get it fixed. Make sure woodcraft understands that if you are forced to return it that you'll be bying a different lathe someplace else.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
Part of the problem is that I purchased it in Raleigh and I live in Western N.C(No Woodcraft here yet).. It's a seven hour ride so I would prefer(May have to) not the return it. The manger in the Raleigh store has been VERY helpful and even calls me to check on the progress I having with Teknatool. Tim is going to ship me a new board now which is fine but I just wonder if this is a common problem with these. I have seen other threads regarding this low voltage and just want to make sure before I run out return options I just want to make sure I didn't end up with $1700 of case iron.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
No problem with mine. I got it in July. It has a slightly lower version number. I have converted it to 220v. I am very pleased with it.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I have read one thrread on one of the turniing sites where someone had a similar problem. I think that they were able to fix it with new board as well. Don't get down, all company's have a few problems with their equipment. I had to get a new forwadr\reverse switch for my Oneway a month after I started using it. If your customer service is any where near as good as Oneway's you will have it fixed soon.
Good Luck,
Jack

mountaintop

New User
Keith
Thanks for the comments.
I have been able to use it some between faults and learned a good deal about the lathe. I really do like the lathe for the price and smooth operation it has. I think this lathe has many many features and because of this it maybe more prone to failures or issues. I really hope the new MB solves the problem. I have found out the low voltage fault is a DC bus error and has nothing to do with source voltages 110/220. I have also realized that there are a lot of Nova DVR XP users out there.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I received the new control board from Tim today and it DOES :eek:ccasion1 fix the problem. I turned four bowls today without a fault or problem. It is a nice lathe once I got past the problem. I may convert it to 220v but right now it runs fine and has more than enough power so I think I just enjoy it.
Thanks for the help.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I"m very pleased that you got through your problem. Good Customer service is one of the most important things I look at when buying equipment. Sounds like you did good in that department.
Happy Turning,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS