New member in Wilmington

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Hi there. Now that I am somewhat retired at 66, I am investing time in increasing my woodworking skills. Have done my part keeping Rockler, Woodpeckers, Kreg, Highland and Woodcraft all in business during the pandemic. Feel bad that I only heard about Tools Plus here in Wilmington recently or would have given them much more business. I generally drive up to Capital Lumber for wood; if there is a better place down East would welcome recommendations. My skills are probably advanced beginner or early intermediate. Need to master joinery but am having lots of fun. Wish there were some more interesting woodworking and furniture classes locally.

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Dave. There are quite a few members in your area.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, Dave. Roy Underhill runs the Woodwright's School in Pittsboro. That's a bit of a drive from Wilmington, but might be worth it for a one-day class. They also have virtual classes.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Dave!
we are glad you found us and hopefullly you will enjoy your time here.
I tell everyone you get out of NCWW what you put in - ask your questions - there are NO dumb questions, if you have it someone else had it, has it or will have it soon!
The cool part? There is SOMEONE on this site that either knows the answer or know where to go to get it!

I have been on a LOT of sites, and NCWW is far and away the best woodworking forum on the internet! (and with great members, we simply get better!)

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Welcome Dave. I'm up in Swansboro and was just down to Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington. They're over off Market St. Didn't have the cherry in the size I wanted, but were waiting for some from their kiln. I managed to get some ordered from Bower Brothers' Board Store right nearby in Jacksonville. Should be out of the kiln next week.

I can't say how they compare to Capitol City as I haven't been out there. This is also my first time purchasing hardwood from any place other than the big box, but the folks I dealt with at both places seemed very nice.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Welcome Dave. I'm up in Swansboro and was just down to Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington. They're over off Market St. Didn't have the cherry in the size I wanted, but were waiting for some from their kiln. I managed to get some ordered from Bower Brothers' Board Store right nearby in Jacksonville. Should be out of the kiln next week.

I can't say how they compare to Capitol City as I haven't been out there. This is also my first time purchasing hardwood from any place other than the big box, but the folks I dealt with at both places seemed very nice.
Yes, I know anchor. They also occasionally carry cabinet grade birch plywood. The lady behind the counter at Anchor is very nice and helpful.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Welcome to a great group. I am just up the road in the Hampstead area. We may want to think about a Wilmington area meet up.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS