New member in North Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weekendturner

New User
WeekendTurner
http://Weekendturner.comHappy Thanksgiving everybody!

I have a day job....
But I’ve been woodturning on the weekends for a few years now. Not every weekend, mind you, because I’m happily married and prefer to stay that way.

I discovered turning about 5 years ago and after a couple of classes (Bill Wallace, Alan Leeland) I was hooked. There’s something magical about turning a block of wood into something useful, beautiful or at least interesting, within just a few hours.

Some years ago I gave over my half of the garage to woodworking, and my car hasn’t seen the inside of it since. I used to do woodworking projects — shelves and bits of furniture — but with limited time, tools and skills, they would just sit there week after week and make me feel guilty about finishing them long after I lost interest.

My day job also has me constantly working with numbers, so there’s something quite freeing about creating free-flowing forms and almost never needing a ruler — matching pieces just need to be “this” big and not half of 3 and 5/16ths.

In about three years of weekend work I’ve managed to turn small bowls, platters, pens, boxes, a few goblets, vases, holiday ornaments, spinning tops, bookmarks, keychains, bracelets, rings, coffee mugs, refrigerator magnets, and other round toys or gadgets.

I’m often looking to try something new and am always amazed and impressed by what I see other turners accomplish. I’ve found that most woodturners seem to fall into three categories: a few professional tradespeople who make a living at it, some full-time artists, but mainly retirement-aged men and a few women with a lot of time on their hands.

I guess I’m a bit of the odd duck since I’m a part-time hobbyist who is far from retiring, with no tradesman skills and very little sense of the artist. I enjoy figuring things out and learning new skills, and I think I have a pretty good eye. Its just that my level of skill, talent and vision sometimes work out and other times just don’t work together at all.

But I have a good time, most of the time, and its rewarding to make things with my own hands. I would recommend it to anyone.

Oh, I'm also on the board for the woodturnersguild of NC, where I manage the web site and shoot video of our monthly demonstrators. Look for me, weekendturner, on YouTube to find these.

Oh, oh, and I sort of maintain a blog at weekendturner.com.

-- Norm

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Norm,

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of turners on this site that do some interesting things. Join in the various discussions, ask questions, and look for some of the other activites that members are engaged in like the Outreach Program, lumber runs, shop crawls, chats, etc. We love pictures.

Steve H.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Norm. Glad you decided to join us. You'll find lots of friendly, helpful folks here, and some really fine turners.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our little spot on the web, glad to have you with us. There are plenty of good folks here and there is always willing to lend a hand.

I hope you do not feel like an odd duck, because your description fits a sizable portion of this group. Please do not be shy, feel free to ask any question and join in a conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

Gary_C

New User
Gary
Hi Norm...good to see you here...have not seen you much since TechShop closed its doors.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the friendliest website around. Ask questions, give advice when you can and we love pictures. Please post pics of work in progress or finished projects. Pics tell the story.

Please do consider joining us for the sharpening workshop at Phil's shop. It is free and lunch will be provided.

You can meet several of the members from the area there and I'm sure more than just sharpening will be discussed.

This is a more current link to the final list and description of the workshop.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50878

Also look for an announcement shortly before the 3rd Friday of the month. A bunch of us get together at the Carolina Ale House in Briar Creek for lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors