New member in Mooresville (a little north of Charlotte)

dgnorton

New User
David
Hi all,

Long-time resident of Mooresville. Recently moved my Wood-Mizer LT15 Wide from the family farm I grew up on in VA down here to NC. I'm a software engineer by day and enjoy sawmilling as a hobby. The mill is up and running now and in the process of building a kiln. Feel free to reach out if you're looking for smallish quantities (1 - 1000 bf) of lumber, slabs, or custom milling.

Cheers,
David

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Welcome David. Maybe you can get somebody to add you to our saw mill list. I don't know how, but someone here can help you do this.

Charley

AT_T_2D

at_t_2d
Senior User
What kind of kiln are you building? I'm a little south of you in Denver, NC and am in the process of building a Nyle L53 kiln.

dgnorton

New User
David
Thanks all. Appreciate the welcomes.

@Charles Lent thanks for the tip about the sawmill list. I'll look around for it or, if someone else knows where it is, maybe they will point me to it.

@AT_T_2D I'm starting with a simple solar kiln based on the plans from VA Tech. I'm going use a Raspberry Pi and an ADS1115 (Go language library I wrote to interface with ADS111x is here) to collect telemetry. I've prototyped a MC meter with those that seems to work well. May also automate vent & fan control. I've got a Reactive Planner library semi-written that may work for that. The telemetry data will be stored in InfluxDB (I worked as an engineer on InfluxDB for some years and am now the engineering manager for the open source team). Storing the telemetry in InfluxDB will make it easy to observe conditions in the kiln over time (e.g., see that MC is dropping too fast or not as fast as it could). I'd also like to add LoRa to it and transmit the data on-the-fly to my house, which is just over half a mile from where the kiln will be. I'd like to be able to do a bug kill cycle as well so I'll probably add supplemental heating later. I'm hoping to build it for < $1500.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS