New Member from Greensboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsylvestro

New User
Julian
Hello everyone,

My name is Julian, and I'm very happy to have found this site. I started woodworking in 1999 (in 6th grade for me) and have really loved it ever since. When I graduated high school I lost my access to tools, but have recently found out that there is a place in Greensboro called The Forge where a membership gives me access to machines and tools. I have always been a "maker", enjoyed building things and solving problems. One of my main reasons for joining this site is to connect with other woodworkers in the area to learn from each other. I am also looking to find a good source for raw materials (ideally I would like to learn more about tree identification so I can source my own wood, but that seems a little far down the road). I look forward to sharing ideas and knowledge here.

Best Regards,
Julian

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Welcome Julian. I am relatively new to Woodworking (July of last year) and have received a lot of great information and education from this group. I think it will server you well. Hope the Forge works out for you.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Julian,

Welcome to NCWW. We have a luncheon in Greensboro on the third Thursday of each month at 11:30 at the Moose Cafe. Come join us.

As far as raw materials are concerned, you live in a central location with several good sources of wood close by. The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville and Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan are two good sources. Both of these places have a good selection of domestic and exotic species. GPS Hardwoods is located in Kernersville. He carries quality domestic lumber. If you are looking for the really exotic, West Penn Hardwood is located in Conover (about 90 minutes west of you just off of I-40). All of these are advertisers on here.

Klingspor in Winston Salem is the closest place that specializes in woodworking equipment, especially abrasives. They, too, are one of our advertisers.

I will send you an invitation to the next new member chat. During this chat, I demonstrate some of the features of the website and tell you some of the traditional events that members plan.

We love pictures of anything family friendly, such as current project, completed project, work in progress, shop buddies, shop, tools, etc.

I look forward to your participation in this journey we call woodworking.

Steve

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Welcome to the site. There are a handful of us in the Greensboro area. Hopefully you can make the monthly lunch that Steve mentioned.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Welcome aboard Julian!. I am in the Greensboro area and depending on what materials you need, I may have what you need. Im a bit of a wood hoarder….. I think Im not alone here though. Let me know if and when you need something. Everyone is here to help.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile Julian....great group over there in Triad....ask away...someone will know the answer

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Julian. As Steve and Jeremy mentioned, our lunch group next Thursday (21st) is a great way to meet some other local woodworkers. It's very informal. Just whomever shows up and the conversation is mostly woodworking.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Julian. Members hare are involved in every aspect of woodworking, from tree harvesting to kiln drying, basic work to fine scrollwork and intarsia.

One problem we have found in identifying wood: what is scrap? :D

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Julian, welcome to NCWW . . . a great woodworking resource and a great group to be involved with.

-Barry

jsylvestro

New User
Julian
Thanks All! I won't be able to attend this month's lunch at the Moose Cafe, but I'll certainly build it into next month's schedule.

Best,
Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors