New member from Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrleon

New User
Leon
Hi Guy's,
I am new to woodworking and new to the Durham area. My job just relocated me here from Texas 2 months ago. I currently own a bunch of cheap woodworking tools I have a craftsman tablesaw (that I don't like) a craftsman bandsaw that I paid 50 dollars for a router table that I built myself out of 2x4s with a ryobi 2 1/4 router. I am looking to upgrade my tablesaw and was looking at the Delta and grizzly as the next affordable upgrade but can't determine which route to take any advice would be welcomed. As a first project I would like to build thisView attachment Entertainment_Center_Project_Diagram.pdf but not sure what wood to use that won't cost me a fortune. I want to use the cheapest cabinet grade plywood for now until I get my skills up.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Leon, Welcome to this wonderful site! There's a tremendous wealth of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

I'm just south of you in Chapel Hill. I also work on the north side of durham, so I'm not too far away. Any time you'd like to get together to compare notes, drop me a PM.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Glad to have you here Leon. Moved here from Texas myself (Keller) about 2 years ago. I've got a couple Delta machines and while they've been pretty good, Delta has absolutely the worst service. They are still selling new machines that you cannot get parts for. Had to fashion my own to repair a drum sander. No experience with Grizzly but most comments on this site seem positive. As for Plywood, beware the big box stock. Often have voids and poor lamination and rarely flat. Would recommend the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, - one of our advertisers, and you'll get a discount once you qualify on this site. Also look for our monthly luncheon near 540 and 70, 3rd Friday.

John

JGregJ

Greg
User
The project plans call for roll-on veneer to finish up the edge of the plywood. My experience with prebuilt furniture is that thin veneer on the edge will not wear well and ends up chipping or partially falling off. So, I'd be consider replacing it with some solid wood. Use wood that is the 3/4 thick and cut some 1/4 - 1/2 inch trim pieces to finish the edges.

What do others here think about that roll-on veneer as a way to finish up the edges of sheet goods?

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our little sawdust pile Leon, glad to have you with us. There are lots of good folks here and you can learn a plenty from them. If you are looking to upgrade tools please visit Klingspor's, they have a location in Raleigh on Capitol Blvd. They are great folks to deal with, big supporters and as members we get a discount. I think we have an outreach event there coming up soon also, here is the link to the Raleigh store. Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation and ask any question.

We like pictures and here are 2 links that will help show how to upload and post them.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...e-to-your-post

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...t-on-this-site

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Leon. You will see lots of good advice and pointers around the site. as for table saws, I have a Jet 10" workhorse that I got for $400 some years ago. The rule of thumb is used equipment goes for half of the cost new. You may want to pay more if the seller includes extras, like blades in good shape (or new).

John Harris

New User
John
Welcome Leon. What model Craftsman Table Saw do you have? What do you not like about it? Possible you could upgrade it to your liking?

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Leon,

Welcome to the forum.

I made an entertainment center a few years ago that I put together with pocket hole screws. I designed it so that I could use hardwood edging instead of the veneer strips to cover up the edges. I used birch hardwood and birch plywood. The finished project was painted. You can see a picture of it in my gallery.

I am happy to try and answer any specific questions.

Steve

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group, Leon. I had to move in the opposite direction. Loved Hillsborough area, but Austin is ok. Your amongst some great talents and the most helpful woodworkers I've ever known... Good luck with your project.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile Leon. Wealth of info from the folks here. As stated try and get to a few lunch's to meet some folks.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lean,
Welcome to Durham and to the NCWW. I have only been a member since December and it is invaluable. I wish I had discovered it a long time ago.
Matt

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Leon,
I am glad you found us.

Commenting on things you are interested in or have questions about as well as participating in discussions will allow you to get the most out of the forum. (as you have already started) Now everyone is going to bug you to see your progress.

Posting pictures or links (as you have done) is helpful when asking about tools or techniques and seems to engage more people in the discussion.

As many people will tell you - We LOVE pictures - pictures of the shop, shop pets, tools, projects nearly anything! (within "family friendly" reason!)
Bryan posted a link for how to post pictures.

Another good link is to our wood suppliers;
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/content.php?r=76-Wood-Suppliers

I enjoy the Hardwood store - Gibsonville NC (it is somewhat close to you - 40+ minutes depending on where you are in Durham) GREAT selection of wood, plywoods etc.
Klingspore is VERY close to you (30 min) in Raleigh - while more of a tool store there is a LOT of good wood there as well - not sure of the plywood selection - but simply a fun trip to go ask the helpful people.

There is also a Wurth Wood location;
Wurth Wood Group - Raleigh

4213 Poole Road
Raleigh, North Carolina 27610

Just my two cents - but I was trying to be thrifty (CHEAP!) and purchased some import plywood. While it was solid and usable (no voids) - the veneer was literally "paper-thin" and delaminated when it was cut. (even when I blue-taped my cut lines to reduce tear-out) If an exposed edge was bumped, the veneer pulled away.
1/2 import was $25.96 per sheet and domestic was $45.50 ~1/2 price - no-brainier right? WRONG!
NEVER, NEVER EVER again - I will spend the extra money and fight my material while I am trying to complete my project.

Golden Rule: you get what you pay for...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the entertainment center.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
`Leon, Welcome to a great resource and an equally great group of fellow woodworkers!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the group Leon. Its good to see another member from Durham. Some good advice to be had here but equipment decisions are always hard to make. Take your time if you plan to get a good TS. I've seen guys walk away from Powermatic TS because "the blade tilted to the other side."

Good quality plywood is not going to be cheap. Lots of demand and the market is fairly stable. Talberts Lumber in Durham has a better quality sheet than the big box stops.

Drop a PM if you are on the north end of town and come by if you like.

Again welcome
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors